94-95 blower on a 90

boostbird90

Does any one have link to a thread about this? I've searched with no luck. I bought a 94-95 blower and put it on my 90 wanting an easy power upgrade and of course there's a problem. What's the procedure for doing this swap? should it be done at all or will it just pop the motor? I have an SCP CAI and 10% pulley on it and after install I took it around the block and the cats were HOT, over 500 degrees so I'm pretty sure its dead lean now. The intercooler and tubes are sealed and there are no vacuum leaks. I'm sure this swap has been done before so what's the deal to make this work?

Does any one have link to a thread about this? I've searched with no luck. I bought a 94-95 blower and put it on my 90 wanting an easy power upgrade and of course there's a problem. What's the procedure for doing this swap? should it be done at all or will it just pop the motor? I have an SCP CAI and 10% pulley on it and after install I took it around the block and the cats were HOT, over 500 degrees so I'm pretty sure its dead lean now. The intercooler and tubes are sealed and there are no vacuum leaks. I'm sure this swap has been done before so what's the deal to make this work?

i know the swap has been done..

i have a 94 blower on my 92 bolted right on tho i have a lot more mods.

i would take the 10% od off and put the stock early pulley on which adds around 3% od. until you open your exhaust and have a better ic..

I plan on doing a similar swap on my 92 in the coming month or two and from what I understand as long as you have the late model plenum its pretty much a straight bolt on.Correct me if im wrong.

You are running too much overdrive, remove the 10% pulley and install the stock pulley as mentioned. You will need a better exhaust, injectors, possibly a maf, bigger intercooler, and a tune to up the overdrive with the late model blower.

I'll give that a try today. I'm thinkin of pullin the cats off too while I'm at it. How much messin can you do with these before it needs a tune? What would the next performance step be? I was thinkin an FMIC then workin on the rest of the exhaust.

I plan on doing a similar swap on my 92 in the coming month or two and from what I understand as long as you have the late model plenum its pretty much a straight bolt on.Correct me if im wrong.

The only change I had to do was the tube for the pcv valve is different so I trimmed it to fit, and the bracket for the egr valve won't mount on its place anymore due to its boss now being a vacuum port. Other than that its just R&R the blower.

Do the exhaust first, next either get Ken Wagner Double IC or build your own front mount, then get a tune.

I'll do that. What are the limitations of the stock injectors? Other than bigger TB,MAF and an FMIC that is as far as I wanna take this car performance wise but with those mods I'm thinkin I'll run out of injector.

When you finish the exhaust and intercooler upgrade, look into some 42lb injectors, 73 or 76 MAF, and 70-75mm throttle body. When you get those parts you must then get a tune at the time you install them. I did all that a long time ago and with 10% OD on a 94 blower and made around ~250ish RWHP on a stock engine.

A stock early model car can push the injectors close to max under the right conditions. The 10% OD on that blower on your car is too much, and you may be running it lean which is causing the exhaust temps to go way up.

Run at most 5% OD on your setup until you get at least a DIC installed, an exhaust upgrade, and injectors upgraded. The stock MAF and TB will be ok at your power level so that doesn't have to be done right away. Then get a chip-n-tune and call it a day for now.

Fraser

A stock early model car can push the injectors close to max under the right conditions. The 10% OD on that blower on your car is too much, and you may be running it lean which is causing the exhaust temps to go way up.

Run at most 5% OD on your setup until you get at least a DIC installed, an exhaust upgrade, and injectors upgraded. The stock MAF and TB will be ok at your power level so that doesn't have to be done right away. Then get a chip-n-tune and call it a day for now.

Fraser

Thanks for the help! This is my first SC and first ford product. One more question, I've got a MAF from a later model N/A bird that's much larger than the one currently on my sc. Can this be used ?

Got an update, I changed the pulley back to the stock and there was no noticable difference! Car still feels about the same, same boost number and it still gets the cats red hot in a 5 min drive. They were both 550-600 degrees outside temps. Could it have maxed out the stock injectors be lean? If so what is the difference in a 94-95 sc and 90 to support this blower?

The 94/95's have 36lb. injectors and the stock 94/95 blower pulley is larger then the stock 89-93 pulley.

don't waste your time on anything other than 80# injectors anything smaller is just old technology i put 80s on bone stock 4cylinders :p

don't get a restrictive maf either, since it's in a draw through config the less restriction the better, i would recommend the ford 90mm units, cheap effective reliable and gets the job done and some

I think your cats may be going bad, if you went from 10% OD to stock and didn't notice any boost difference :eek:

time to replace the cats and as mentioned open up the exhaust, ain't no shame in my game, i got dual 3s y'd at the tank and a single 3 out the back, with them el cheapo summit turbo mufflers no cats and a 24" resonator she's quieter than stock

don't waste your time on anything other than 80# injectors anything smaller is just old technology i put 80s on bone stock 4cylinders :p

don't get a restrictive maf either, since it's in a draw through config the less restriction the better, i would recommend the ford 90mm units, cheap effective reliable and gets the job done and some

I think your cats may be going bad, if you went from 10% OD to stock and didn't notice any boost difference :eek:

time to replace the cats and as mentioned open up the exhaust, ain't no shame in my game, i got dual 3s y'd at the tank and a single 3 out the back, with them el cheapo summit turbo mufflers no cats and a 24" resonator she's quieter than stock

Are you referring to 80lb/hr injectors? That sounds way big? I've got a MAF from a 96 or so N/A v-6 bird that I think is 70-80mm. not sure if that will work with the SC? As far as the cats go those crusty little horsepower suckers are coming off today

80lb injectors are way over kill, I'm not even using them. You can't just throw the 36lb injectors in with a 94/95 maf. You can get bigger injectors but you will need a C&L MAF (73mm will work fine) with the correct sampling tube for the year of your car and injector size.

You didn't say what kind of driving you are doing. Is it just part throttle cruise, or are you hammering it around the block the whole time? You may have other problems. Like a contaminated MAF. Did you just put a KnN filter on it? I would clean the MAF element with MAF CLEANER and give it a shot again. I'd also make sure the IAT IS hooked up.

I drive it like i always do-Hammer down. It didn't start cookin the cats until I changed the blower. So I'm thinkin I should I just put the original blower back on before I cook the pistons and sell this stupid F-n car. Frustrating

80lb injectors are way over kill, I'm not even using them. You can't just throw the 36lb injectors in with a 94/95 maf. You can get bigger injectors but you will need a C&L MAF (73mm will work fine) with the correct sampling tube for the year of your car and injector size.

I have to agree and disagree at the same time here.

Like Fraser has said many of time and something I agree with is think about where you want to go and how much power you want to make. I also add, how soon you want to be there. I currently have 42lb injectors on my 92 with a ported early model blower with a 5% pulley and my injectors are at 83% duty cycle. Now there are other mods that I have done but I was surprised to see an early model, ported or not, work those injectors like that and I don't even have the MAF tuned fully. My AFR's are in the mid to low 12's at wot so now that I am very close to getting a late model blower I have to go to at least a 60lb, maybe even 80's if I decided to go to E85.

So I would say stay away from the stock injectors regardless of what year they are from and just step up to at least a 42lb. But before you do that you need to really sit down and decided how far you want to go and how crazy you want you car to be.

Back