crank sensor

JStickley

ok im just making a new post becuase the other is buried someplace.. anywho i got a crank sensor.. how hard is it and how much time is it going to take mt to replace this thing? ... correct me if im wrong.. remove the dampiner cover, spin the crank so the vanes are on the sensor.. remove the sensor.. put the new one back on.. use a matchbook to get a decent judge on distance.. tighten it down.. put the cover back on and hopefully itll start?

BAD CRANK SENSOR!

yanno what.. F*** THAT CRANK SENSOR!!!!!!!!! talk about a pain in the arse.. i just paid my neighbor to do it.. but i gotta supervise haha.. at least im not down there bustin my knuckles.. damn im a lazy ass hahahah

Jesse

It really isn't that bad a job. Get 2 long feeler gauges .7- .8 mm, curve them slightly, and sandwich the vane with the sensor in place and tighten the 2 little bolts to align it. You'll need a 5.5 mm open end ignition wrench and patience. The vane has to be out of the way when you R&R the sensor but turn it back when you align it.

well it didnt get done tonight.. the problem is.. i cant fit my fat hands in there to get the top bolt in on the sensor.. and my neighbor cant quite get it up there eaither.. im seriously considering pulling the balencer/crank pully off so i can just ratchet it in there.. it wouldnt be a problem if i could just get the bolt started.. but its so damn tight in there it seems impossible.. well anywho the bolt fell and we cant find it so we stopped for tonight and hopefully it didnt fall on one of those vanes

thanks for the help.. and ill let ya know if that fixed it..

Jesse

btw if this DOESNT fix it.. im smackin each and everyone of you that said that if you crank the car and the upshiftlight stays on it means you have a bad crank sensor.. so prepair for a smackfest if it doesnt work :))

And when it DOES fix your problem, then what? Maybe you buy each of us a case of beer?

If you have such doubt about the advice you get here, maybe you should have taken it to the shop where they could spend 3 days scratching their heads, performing the EXACT same work (plus a DIS and/or coil pack thrown in for good measure because a code hinted at it) and then smacking you with a $1000 repair bill. Fact is, here you get the best guesses that there are from people who have had the same problems. Guarantees.. no.. If you want professional advice, like I said, open your wallet and talk to Ford.

Nobody here ever said the crank sensor is an easy job; if you go over to the TBSCEC site, you can find an article by XR7dave which explains some good shortcuts. :p

BTW... you need a 7/32" open-end wrench or 6.5mm to get the bolts off.. Those are not very common. Sears sells tuneup wrenches which will work.

And also, you get ZERO sympathy from me about how hard it is.. I did mine at night, in the rain, in 40 degree weather, so spare me.

dood chill.. calm yourself down.. it was a ****** joke.. why dont you keep your cocky ass opinions to yourself bro.. i mean im sorry if i ofended you.. but ffs ... anywho.. i did mine tonight, in the rain and 50 degree weather.. so i know how you feel.

Jesse

I just went and doubled checked and mine did use a 5.5 mm wrench. There may be 2 different sizes used. I had to use a reverse angle reach to get to the top screw. Going straight up I couldn't get to it so I curled my arm around and over from just above while lying on my back.

...Or you could pull the motor out, and place it on an engine stand, and revel at how easy it is to change the crank sensor!!! Just ask Bill McNeil... That's how we did his.

;)

You guys need to lighten up around here! We're all on the same side, right?!

Cheers,

Sean

well i got the old sensor out.. now im having problems getting the little screws back in.. i messed with it for an hour tonight and couldnt get em to screw in.. cuz we didnt get it done last night.. any suggestions on that?

Have you removed the crank pulley? If not, that might lend you a little more clearance to get your meat-hooks in there to start the bolts.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sean

heh.. ill remove the balencer and the crank pully.. hahah.. its the balencer thats cuasing the problems.. the actual balencer it self.. not the vanes.. the bolts keep moving toward it and i cant get em back out so i gotta keep hittin it till it falls out.. then start the process all over.. anyone here wanna come put 2 measly bolts in for me? ill give ya 20 bux! hawehawheahwe and a case of beer!

ugh
beer

Jesse

All right, maybe you guys don't know about XR7 (crank sensor guru) Dave's article.. here you go.. he say's its about a 2 hr job and doesn't require that you pull the balancer. You're gonna kick yourself after you read it, but here you go.

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=88.topic

I did mine the hard way. On the top bolt, used a small wrench.. little bit at a time.. rest.. swear some.. twist again.. drop wrench.. swear some more.. repeat till done. The lower bolt was reachable with a small socket. Paper towels stuffed below to catch falling stuff helps a lot.

hmm...

Just replaced mine and it did not require me to take off the oil filter. Just took the top half of the plastic piece off I beleive...or maybe it was the bottom lol i can't remember but thats all I had to do and had clear access to the CPS.

well.. i took the oil filter off.. there is absolutly no way to get at anything with it there.. then i removed the bolt that held the oil filter cooling lines and the lower cover off.. thats all out of the way.. i just cannot get the bolts to start for the actual sensor.. i didnt take the bracket off i just took the acual sensor out and i am replacing it.. how you guys are doing this and saying it is soo easy is beyond me.. and that artical that xr7dave did.. well it doesnt help one bit.. except for the location of the sensor..

3 days now and im extremely frustrated with this.

well YIPPIE.. it works.. the car is running.. but i think the tranny is slipping or its got a stall convertor in it.. it seems to grab at 2600 everytime.. in all gears.. any ideas?!?!

Back