SC not getting spark...??

Supercouped

hello, so ive been having problems with my car starting since ive gotten it.. Ive replaced so much on it that i would hate to do anything drastic in getting rid of it. ive replaced: all belts all hoses ignition module head gaskets 2 spark plugs crank sensor cant think of any more. Will update if i think of something else. but anyways does anyone have an explonation for this????? :(:(:(

Can you list the codes you've seen?

How do you know there is no spark?

How many volts at the battery, key off?

Did you check/reset the collision switch left side trunk?

Did you check all fuses under the dash and in the PCB next to the battery?

What work has been done on the car, exactly, since the last time it worked properly (not after you started swapping parts) ?

two things that might cause those problems, 1 the IRCM--it has a voltage regulator in it that regulates battery voltage down to 5 volts for several sensors, including the throttle position sensor . Its not well documented and it also may be model sensative but its that way on my car and my son-in-law's car (89 and 90). The ignition switch--on the steering column---is also guilty of getting loose and making flaky connection to various connections.......................Dan

just the mass airflow sensor code comes up..

but we did the spark tester on the coil packs

not too sure what the batter volts are but we had it on the charger when we were tryin to start it.

we checked all fuses.

none of the above were done till i got the car. plus the timing chain.

Check the crank pulley for any wobble while you are cranking the engine....

Any wobble would indicated a bad / broken harmonic balancer....

Check the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer to the crank....

If it comes loose or falls out :eek:, the balancer can walk off the crankshaft a bit....

This will cause the reluctor ring on the back of the harmonic balancer to not properly pass through the crank sensor....

well the timing chain was just changed so the harmonic balancer and crank pully were all looked at. Noticed that the water pump pully was a little shaky so thats going to be fixed. Im pretty stumped on this car. As soon as i replace something another thing goes wrong or stops working... Please im open to any ideas on fixing this problem. Im pretty desperate on fixing it. I dont have another car and i work out of town. Been barrowing someone elses car and its starting to be a problem.

thanks for any help,
Nate

when my cam sensor was bad i unplugged it and it started and made it home till i got a new one , i have 2 sc put over 250 k miles on them never had trouble with ircm or ecm or dis or coil pack . mostly crank sensor or harmonic balancer or fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. autolite platinums have given me fits with missing in at least 3 cars , your better off with motorcraft platinum or autolite copper my one tbird still has autolite platinum that hasnt missed for 3 years so im not touching it

ralph

Last edited:
Back