Super Ford - March 1988 - SVO V6 Scan

Toms-SC

Hey all,

I've been having some good luck on eBay lately. My latest win I wanted to share with the community. I picked up a Super Ford, March 1988 magazine with no less than 2/3 the of the write up's on Thunderbird's. I know we've had questions about the SVO V6 and the lack of documentation so I hope this helps.

The article pretty much covers off everything we've wanted to know from a general perspective. It is a complete engine tear down with commentary.

The download links below will take you to the high quality scans in PDF form.

Last edited:
With my decent scanner here I'm going to attempt to get my hands on the old Chargin Thunder mag's and scan them all up too.

Cosworth 12 bolt heads?
SVO Race Block with support for 12 bolt heads?
4 bolt nodular crank caps?
Hamburger oil pan?

Were those available for folks back then? I've never heard of anyone finding any in the wild today. It would be neat if someone did find such a machine somewhere.

With my decent scanner here I'm going to attempt to get my hands on the old Chargin Thunder mag's and scan them all up too.

Suggestion: Remove or obscure the mailing label off the magazines before you scan, or edit them out afterwards.

RwP

Cosworth 12 bolt heads?
SVO Race Block with support for 12 bolt heads?
4 bolt nodular crank caps?
Hamburger oil pan?

Were those available for folks back then? I've never heard of anyone finding any in the wild today. It would be neat if someone did find such a machine somewhere.

Yes. I have a set of the heads, brand new and there was another set on Ebay a few weeks ago. Finding blocks is more difficult. Later model blocks are easy to find, but they match up with higher port heads which would be difficult to fit under the hood of an SC with a supercharger attached.

You can still buy complete motors for around $10K.

I have a decent scanner at home, along with all the issues of Chargin Thunder that were published. But I don't have time to do that since you know I have an SC which requires my spare time to tinker rather then scanning stuff.

Hi,

I'm road racing a 3.8L V6 in the SCCA and am interested in the racing history of the 3.8L engines. Does anyone have a link or scan of the Super Ford tear down of the engine mentioned? It is likely I had this article and issue back in the day, but all those old Super Ford mags hit the bin years ago. Dang it, always when you need something you just chucked it.....

Thank you,
Ron

Hey Ron,

Welcome to the forums. I found your SCCA Mustang builds interesting (found them through google). You've got a bit of misinformation...the block is not a bored production block but rather a brand new casting, 4.5L. I took the article down awhile ago, private message me your email address and I'll send it over. Funny you mention the Super Ford magazines, I bought most the volumes just recently from the early-mid 90's to finish off my documentation collection. Any other questions let me know.

Last edited:
Tom I was wondering if you were ever going to make all those docs available to the members here in the members section?

1991 was the best year in terms of the Ford Motorsport catalog's. Both inline and canted valve items were listed.

Due to the amount of interest I've re-hosted the article temporarily. You can download it Here (22.5MB). Just a quick note, this article was published in 1988 and as such has no reference to the inline valve SVO parts released in 1991.

Dang, I missed it and the link doesn't work any longer. Any chance of hosting it somewhere again? I have the ability to host it permanently if needed.

Thanks,
Ron

Back