Rad Fan Direct Wiring ?'s

bbird94

Hey all

So I use my car as a daily driver right now so I was going to direct wire my rad fan directly to the ignition so the fan atleast runs to keep the car while I take the time to trace the problem with the stock wiring, so this is going to be a temporary fix for a max of a month!

But I used this wiring scheme but for the rad fan instead of ic!

attachment.php

Here are my issues: 1. I wired it all up using a 40A relay and a 30A fuse and when I turned on the car the fan first started going to very quickly stopped working AGAIN. Will this diagram work for wiring the rad fan directly? Could I have blown the 40A relay since the rad fan is much larger? Can I use it but just need a much larger relay? If so, how much bigger?

2. When looking at the rad fan it has 3 electric posts, I have read in past posts that one is ground and then the other two are low speed and high speed. I didn't know this until last night after I have tried this wiring setup. So the could I have blown the rad fan motor if I accidentally wired it the high speed and low speed up with no ground? I wired my power wire to the bottom post and the ground to the top post leaving the one in the middle not connected at all. Did I screw it up? Does anyone know what each post on the rad fan is? Did I blow the fan motor doing this?

3. Last, this morning I woke up and went to fire up the car and click click, battery dead. Now after a defeated effort of not figuring out the rad fan last night I just left the whole thing still wired up, not thinking straight and not knowing what I broke (either relay or motor or ?) I left teh wiring all hooked up as the diagram above. Was this a bad idea? Should I have disconnected everything? I assume it was still drawing power and drained the battery, but where was it drawing power from?

Thank you for your time and help guys! Please help...im thinking about just using this rad fan in a discus competition!

,Brandon

If you wired high speed and ground, the fan will pull a sustained current over a few seconds of around 70A (!!), so I bet the 30A fuse flashbulbed on you.

OTOH, if you spin up the low speed tap, and then hit the high speed tap, it'll spool up with a LOT less inrush current.

Dunno what would happen if you used the low and high speed instead of ground and one of the other taps, though.

RwP

Hey,

So one reason it aint working is because the relay isnt large enough, so like a 90amp relay would do the trick or atleast be a good step in the right direction?

Thank You,
Brandon

Hey,

Oh I just noticed, you were talking about the fuse not the relay. So would a 40 amp relay with a much bigger fuse work?

Thank You,
Brandon

Hey,

Yea thats the thing, I have been fishing on here awhile with this issue. I tried the cut wire @ IRCM trick and nada. I am running out of options, so in the meantime just to preserve the car from blowing head gaskets or something much worse from overheating I was thinking about wiring it up direct while I chase down this wiring ghost since I use it to drive around right now and my evenings to work on it are limited. So this seemed most logically in that time period.

Mike - I have noticed in reasearching alot of the old posts that you have helped any many other SC'ers with wiring and cooling related questions and let me just say thank you for being a stand up SC friend! Actually btw, do you by chance know out the the 3 electrical posts on the rad fan which ones are the low speed, high speed and ground?

Thank You,
Brandon

Actually btw, do you by chance know out the the 3 electrical posts on the rad fan which ones are the low speed, high speed and ground?

No, I don't know. I know on the 93, the low speed wire is dark brown and the high speed wire is brown with an orange stripe.

If you cut the wire and the fan doesn't come on, then I'm going to call a failed fuseable link. Are you sure that fan motor can even run? It may be the motor is failing and drawing way out of spec current which caused the fuseable link to fail. If you try and bypass safety features to run that fan and the fan is drawing too much current, you could start a fire.

otherwise, make sure there are no blown fuses in the power distribution box under the hood.

The fuseable link for the fan (fuseable link B) should be near the power distribution box, likely under it.

Micro WOT

I am getting ready to hook up a I/C fan and was wondering if you recommend hooking it up to so it always stays on or should I hook it up with a micro WOT switch?

I am getting ready to hook up a I/C fan and was wondering if you recommend hooking it up to so it always stays on or should I hook it up with a micro WOT switch?

Always on (key on etc.) - By the time it comes on for/at WOT it's already heat-soaked and it would be too late to try to cool it for any immediate benefit.

Back