Head porting...

phils89sc

I wan thinking of getting my heads ported in my 89sc while I am doing the head gaskets. Where are the biggest areas of restriction on both the exhaust and intake sides? Any pics of these restrictions? I have done cast iron 5.0L heads before. What kind of bit would you need for aluminum?

Thanks

Aluminum is a lot easier to cut. With a decent carbide bit, you don't even need the speed of a die grinder. A decent drill will cut just fine and let you exercise more control. Get a few different shapes of bits (blunt cylindrical, flat cylindrical, flame tip). I like flame tip the best. But I just dabble in this stuff; I am no professional.

You can do more than that, but it depends on how many hours you have.

Without welding or spending massive amounts of time, you can:

Smooth the short-turn radius of the exhaust side.

Unshroud the valves in the chamber.

If you take them to a machinist, you can have larger valves installed. This will usually require the heads to be cut for larger seats. This will help create a short turn radius on the exhaust side.

You can get ported heads from a number of sources. XR7 Dave, Victor at Spinningwheels-SC, Super Six Motorsports. I am sure each one of them has tricks that are far beyond what amateurs like me are doing on the kitchen table.

You can do more than that, but it depends on how many hours you have.

Without welding or spending massive amounts of time, you can:

Smooth the short-turn radius of the exhaust side.

Unshroud the valves in the chamber.

If you take them to a machinist, you can have larger valves installed. This will usually require the heads to be cut for larger seats. This will help create a short turn radius on the exhaust side.

You can get ported heads from a number of sources. XR7 Dave, Victor at Spinningwheels-SC, Super Six Motorsports. I am sure each one of them has tricks that are far beyond what amateurs like me are doing on the kitchen table.

Be very careful on the exhaust side short radious.... just go a tad too much and your right back to lousy flow numbers, and in fact could be worse than stock.

Fraser

Back