New Alternator Time

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
Been doing some on line searching for a replacement alternator for my 95 SC and according to a couple of web sites I've checked (Advanced Auto and Fordparts.com) a 95 SC and a 95 3.8 LX will take the same alternator. Anyone know if this is a fact or are those sites wrong because one site (Autozone) shows one 110 amp alternator for a 95 SC and three 130 amp alternators for a 95 3.8 LX. Another site (pa-performance.com) only gives a w/o supercharger option for a 3.8 95 Thunderbird but lists several alternators.
I was looking at this one for $234.30 at fordparts.com (see below). It's listed as fits all engines for 94 - 97 Thunderbirds and Cougars under the "Buyer's Guide Results". It's a 130 amp Motorcraft remanufactured alternator. Anyone have some alternator suggestions? I'd like to upgrage to at least 130 amp's.

Buyer's Guide Results
Part Number: GL477RM
Description: Alternator
Manufacturer: Motorcraft
Years: 1994-2000
Applications: 62
Results Per Page
Years Make Model Engine Qty per Vehicle
1994-1997 Ford Thunderbird All Engines (1) 1
1994-1997 Mercury Cougar All Engines (1) 1
1994-2000 Ford Mustang All Engines

After about 10 years of daily driving on mine, the stock (110 amp, I believe) went out. I went to Ford and bought a 170 dollar re-manufactured Motorcraft (if my memory serves me right) because I've heard buying the Autozone types are cheaper (130ish) and have a lifetime warranty; but you'll be changing them out every year. I didn't really want to do that and figured the stock one did fine for 10 years, seems like a good deal to get 10 more years out of a new stock replacement one from Ford. All of this on an aftermarket stereo too. I hope that helps.

Mike

Wasn't someone trying to get a group buy on custom wound units recently?

Just be sure to not use the new alternator to bring up a dead battery...fast path to quick death :) Put it on a charger first.

i'd say thats a negative. sc's used an alternator with a different mounting pattern. and saying that tour alternator would fit a 4.6 is bogus too. :eek:

Back