Oil pressure sending unit wiring problems

TaBaSCo

I'm trying to replace my sending unit and can't disconnect the lead wire. All the how to's either say "just squeeze it and it'll pop right off" or omit that step entirely. I have squeezed and I have pulled but it doesn't make sense that would even work. The "L" joint is threaded on to the sending unit. Maybe something else is to pop off? The wire goes into a plastic tube it shares with another wire and I can't determine where that goes. So I could probably get the unit off if I were to unscrew the "L" joint, wires attached and install it the same way, but I don't want to risk twisting up and potentially compromising the old and probably vulnerable existing wiring. Am I missing something? Perhaps a detailed squeeze here while pulling that in this direction will help...Some tips for replacing the old wiring might prove handy as well (i.e. where the wire goes, access points, things I might need to remove...stuff like that). Thanks in advance. And to be clear, I'm replacing the sending unit and possibly the wires because the check gauge light is on and off, with the oil pressure riding the lowest end of "normal" section and sometimes getting almost to the middle of the gauge. Seems to be a common problem.

What year car are you working on. I assume its a SC. there may be different sending units for oil pressure but my car 1992 has just one wire on the top of it and it just pulls straight off no squeezing or anything.

I would not remove the "L" part of the sending unit, instead just remove the sending unit itself.

You have a single wire leading to a red or black rubber boot which covers part of a threaded rod coming out of the sending unit?

If so ... Yep, yank it off. The threads just provide friction to the "female" connector inside the boot. It is the same setup on the coolant temperature sending unit coming off the thermostat housing. So take a look at that if you can't get a good look at the oil pressure sender.

Back