broke harmonic ballancer Please Help!!!

unrapit

Hello All,
My harmonic balancer is broke and the sleeve is still on the crank.The bolt is also broke off in the crank.Ideas on how to remove these myself would be nice.Thank You! Its a 1993 SC but the engine is out of an 89.

I saw once where a guy drilled three small holes in the HB piece that was left on the crank....

He used three long sheet-rock screws and a 3 prong puller to pull it off....

Hello All,
My harmonic balancer is broke and the sleeve is still on the crank.The bolt is also broke off in the crank.Ideas on how to remove these myself would be nice.Thank You! Its a 1993 SC but the engine is out of an 89.

Same thing happen to my 93 SC 2 years ago, did what big-e said.
now i got bhj and 10% crankshaft pulley, SC still down waiting for parts.

i was the guy

i was the guy with the sheetrock screws worked well just took my time check some of my posts for some good pics. i may still have them if you would like i can send some illustrations of the process.. aftermarket h/b from am auto parts $227.00 shipped doing well 2500 miles later.....
didnt have the bolt issue but seen it done on here somewhere

Last edited:
when i was screwing in the sheet metal screws they were fat enough to split the piece so it pulled right out didnt need a puller

pics

h b removal pics ..........

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 190
Well the same thing happen to me and I removed it the same way and I bought a new one and two month later it broke on me so I say if u buy a. Stock replacement get a aluminum crank pulley because I think its the weight of the stock steel pulley that brakes it or just buy a BHJ balancer so u don't have to go through this problem twice like I did. And good luck with gettng it out

did same...

h b removal pics ..........

only that i used 2 bolts and i made the puller it works really nice ...:D compared to remove the timing cover ....:mad:..... i did it 4 times(2 not my cars) removing the timing cover. :D:D:D:D

just take your time don't want to mess up the seal at the crank or the crank to....

cool

looking back two screws would have worked fine replacement balancer still holding 2700 mileson the 90 . but on my new 95 would you guys consider the famous torque converter shudder to be about the same as rear end chatter? or are they two completely different sounds? changed trans fluid and filter and fluid looked perfect see thru candy apple red pan clean. previous owner changer rear end oil 70000 miles ago and he didnt seem to know about the friction modifier so that could be the culprit??? what do you guys think

Back