never going this route again

92sclikenew

well i decided to change the ujoints on my sc..

and i always went the gas tank route when i removed the trans or anything such...

so this time i decide to go the rear end route. just to see how hard it is..

i still cant understand how its easier..its been such a pain..

any tips while im like 1/2 thru the job.

thanks!

I think the rearend method is much easy. Just remove the kncukles with the shafts still attached, and place jack stands under the lower arms to keep the springs in. I changed the diff in less then 2 hours the last time I did it.

I think the rearend method is much easy. Just remove the kncukles with the shafts still attached, and place jack stands under the lower arms to keep the springs in. I changed the diff in less then 2 hours the last time I did it.

maybe i just suck.. owell :eek:

The exhaust routing can make this job easier or harder. But yeah, pull the knuckles & halfshafts together (no need to support the LCAs with a jack--the shocks will keep them in place), support the rearend with a jack, unbolt it, lower it (much easier with a friend to steady it), then pull the DS.

The exhaust routing can make this job easier or harder. But yeah, pull the knuckles & halfshafts together (no need to support the LCAs with a jack--the shocks will keep them in place), support the rearend with a jack, unbolt it, lower it (much easier with a friend to steady it), then pull the DS.

thats the plan but it is happening harder then said. i the rear end was installed about 3 years ago.

still had to lower 1 strap on the tank to get the drive shaft out..

what a pain...

thanks for the help.

It is, that it is.

BUT - considering how high up I have to lift the car to get the gas tank OUT - I still liked doing it that way.

Plus, it allowed me to verify a few other items while doing the U joints.

My problem is dead-lifting the diff up to where I could bolt one bolt in to hold it while I got everything else up. Oh, and I can't pull the fill plug ... 20 year old car, even in the south, can mean "Whaddya mean that's two pieces? Not any more!!!" :rolleyes:

RwP

With you being in Michigan, I'm surprise the rear-end method isn't easier for you.
Especially if you drive the car in the rain/snow up there. I can only imagine how many manifold studs you've broken trying to remove the exhaust.

-corey

With you being in Michigan, I'm surprise the rear-end method isn't easier for you.
Especially if you drive the car in the rain/snow up there. I can only imagine how many manifold studs you've broken trying to remove the exhaust.

-corey

none when the car was stock..

but now i have headers and the car wont see another winter for the rest of its life which wont be long.. :rolleyes:

tho i did get the ujoints changed..

seems to fix my vib over 60mph.. but havnt takin it on the freeway yet to know for sure..

the joints didnt seem to have much play at all but they were lumpy feeling when i wiggled them.. so i assume that was my issue..

thanks for all the help guys!

Back