PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Tensioner Pulley Hardcoat Refurb

DLF
08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
If any of you are like me, and purchased the aluminum Wazee (or other brand) tensioner pulleys a few years ago, they probably wore quite quickly and covered your engine with aluminum dust.

Well, I have since sent a couple of sets out to be hardcoat anodized, along with the sleeves I make for my Delrin IRS Bushing Kits and IRS Sub-Frame Mounts.

I've been using a set for about 6 months now, and they're holding up really well (see the attached pics).

I bead blasted the pulleys to clean them and trued the pulleys in the lathe, before I had them hardcoated. This reduced the diameter of the pulleys a bit, but that hasn’t created a problem.

If anyone has a set of used Wazee pulleys lying around (or any other 6061-T6 aluminum pulley with a removable bearing), this might be an option to make them usable again.

If 10 people have used pulley sets, the cost to get a set of three pulleys hardcoat anodized would be around $20 (6 sets would run ~ $33). A hardcoat batch runs me right around $200.

I’d be willing to remove/replace the original bearings (new bearings would be an optional $ upgrade), true the pulleys on my lathe and bead blast them for another $40 a set.

So, if we get enough people, a refurbished set of hardcoated pulleys would cost each person ~ $65 (shipped in the lower 48) + the cost of shipping them to me.

I've already got two sets done, so I'm set, I'm just offering this to the community as a service.

Interested:

SuperChicken89

SuperChicken89
08-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm definitely interested. I have a set of 3 Heartland tensioner pulleys which need this treatment. I checked into having them hard coat anodized several years ago but found no one local who wanted to do them.

Bryan

DLF
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm definitely interested. I have a set of 3 Heartland tensioner pulleys which need this treatment. I checked into having them hard coat anodized several years ago but found no one local who wanted to do them.

Bryan

That's 1. :)

DLF
09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
In the FWIW category, here's a couple of pics showing the weight difference between the wide Dayco steel pulley and a Wazee aluminum pulley.

DLF
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm going to be sending a batch to be hardcoated in a couple of weeks, so now would be a good time to contact me if anyone wants to get this done.

DLF
02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Too late, my batch goes out in the morning. :(

DLF
10-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I'll try this one last time. I'm getting another batch together to be hardcoated in the next 2-3 weeks, if anyone's interested.