Temperature gauge issue

SCme94

My stock temp gauge quit working a while ago. If I ground the wire from the sending unit it pegs hot so I don't think it is a wiring issue.

I have replaced the sending unit with a new one from both advance auto and the zone but neither fixed the problem.

Could they be giving me the sender for the auto climate control by mistake or are the gauge and auto climate the same?

Where are you replacing it at?

My stock temp gauge quit working a while ago. If I ground the wire from the sending unit it pegs hot so I don't think it is a wiring issue.

I have replaced the sending unit with a new one from both advance auto and the zone but neither fixed the problem.

Could they be giving me the sender for the auto climate control by mistake or are the gauge and auto climate the same?

The one for the gauge is on the Thermostat housing, and the one for the climate control is on the heater hose pipe on the passenger side while the one for the ECU is on the heater hose outlet on the intake manifold if I am not mistaken. I am positive about the location of the one for the gauge is on the thermostat housing.

The autozone number for the one you need is TU25. Make sure it has a real good connection and the connector slides tightly over the threads of the sensor.

Smitty
Hope this helps

Last edited:

Both the gauge sender and the auto climate control switch look the same dimensionally. I've noticed on the the switch I have, the little plastic bushing is red for the auto climate switch, but for the gauge sender is either green or black - but this might mean anything.

You first need to make sure the connection at the sender is good, clean, and tight. Take a little piece of sandpaper or a small wire brush and clean the insdie of the single-wire connector. If it fits loosely, give it a slight squeeze with some pliers to make it a tighter fit.

If you have an ohmeter, you can measure the resistance relative to temperature (from the body/threads to the connector post) it should change as the temperature changes (use hot water, a lighter or something). The switch would not vary in this way...it will either be short circuited or open, depending on what coolant temperature it is set to switch at.

Or...maybe easier...what is the manf. & part number of the one you bought? I have one that I know is correct (got from autozone).

if the gauge pegs when ground but it wont work when plugged in your not getting a ground.Mine did the same thing I had to use less teflon tape and my bolts that went through the thermostat housing had silicone on them from someone changing the thermostat and they were not grounding on the thermostat housing to the block.

Thanks all
TU25...That's the one in it now. I did just squish the connector tighter with no change. I will try to check the resistance next.

Did you ever fix your problem? Mine started doing the same thing in the past few months.

Hello Kurt K,
If you have an Autototor kit on your car you should check to make sure that you tightened the stand off that holds the EEC temp sensor in place all the way. Mine was loose causing the cooling system to never pressurize and caused the gauge not to read along with other weird stuff.

Back