headgasket prep/install?

BlackbirdSc94

When you buy a new set of headgaskets is there anything you need to do to them before you install em and bolt the heads down???

I just took the heads of on my engine the other day and noticed that the headgaskets had really tiny circle holes for the coolant passages whereas the block and heads passage holes were larger and almost triangular. Ive never seen the head gaskets for these engines before....

Its a 91 engine if that makes a diffrence, It looks like the sections should have been cutout but they weren't either from the factory, or if someone replaced em...... I was wondering what effect that would have on the engine preformance and mechanical wise

Those holes/shapes work to balance and control coolant flow - there is no need to change the design.

Which brand new headgaskets are you planning on buying? Search here on that brand to find previous discussions on proper installation.

Those holes/shapes work to balance and control coolant flow - there is no need to change the design.

Which brand new headgaskets are you planning on buying? Search here on that brand to find previous discussions on proper installation.

I was going to get the complete engine gasket kit from SCP, another question now that I know they are supposed to be there. Are there any sections of coolant passages that ARE supposed to be unrestricted because the last set of holes up against the cylinder wall on the back side of the engine were not pinholed but full flow and thats on both sides of the engine but one side looks like there was some gook starting to clog up the passages, the gook is just on the gasket not the heads or block. Im assuming these unrestricted ones are for the return flow out of the heads:confused: . Did my engine eat the gasket, if so am I just screwed or is there a way to flush the peices out??

Back