flexplate

dexter302

so i am doing the swap soon into my rock crawler.. but my sc was a standard, and the crawler is getting a c4.
My question is, do i need a balanced flexplate? or counterbalanced?
will the flexplate off a 3.8L mustang engine work?
will the flex plate off a 70 mustang 302 engine work?, i have 1 of each of these...
i have read that i need a flexplate with 164 teeth for the c4 style starter to work... so i assume that the 70 302 mustang flexplate will work but i hope someone will know.
does anyone have the pinouts on the eec 4 computer? i found some diagrams and some of the pinouts are left blank but my ecm have wires in them? they go to the dash harness so i assume they are just cruise cancel/brake switch, gauges and whatnot.. correct??? so i dont need these as im running autometer gauges...

any help is appreciated..

All SC engines were neutral balance. The N/A 3.8L wasn't neutral balanced until mid-00.

by chance do you know if the 302 flexplate was neutral balanced in 1970 or if i have to locate a 2001+ flexplate, and with that flexplate, do i use the c4 starter or the sc original starter?

Thanks

I am a prw dealer I can get you just about any flexplate combination you could possibly need. If you are using a 164tooth flexplate bellhousing then the aod/4r70w flexplate will work just fine.
Alan

needed something faster then ordering from ohio, i got a 2003 3.8L n/a neutral balanced flexplate for 65 bucks Canadian. Hope it works.

the flexplate i ordered now, for an auto sc, wont be here for 3 weeks.
if i take my counterbalanced flexplate and grind the balace weight off, and run that for 3-4 weeks (not racing or anything) will it cause damage to the crank/bearings???? (it wont be a perfect balance) i might see if i can get that balanced tommorow and then i dont even need to order a different flexplate,, correct??

Then you got a 5.4 one not a 3.8. Any stock SC flexplate will work, as well as any stock thunderbird 4.6 flexplate.
Alan

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ord&model=F-150&vi=1354575&pt=03232&ppt=C0338

interesting.. this pic shows a 6 bolt one..
i think its just pakaged wrong..

dirtydog.. thanks for the heads up.. im gunna have to order another one.

dirty, can you pm me a link to your website or something? what else do you sell?
if i wasnt in such a rush for the plate i would order it from you,, but i need it like now...

do you sell torque converters??? can you price me one for say.. 2000-2200 stall?

Torque converters are my specialty. Flexplates and such I just carry for convenience and to make sure people can get what they need to work with their setup. Incorrect flexplates are way to common. I find even the best flexplates seem to have fitment issues so I ship most of them to me so that I can test the fit and modify if needed.
Alan

Back