Engine Temperature

racer02sl

I'm curious about the operating temperature for our super coupes. The temperature gauge on my 93 SC has NORM in the center. I drove a good two hours the other day when it was 90+ deg. outside and the temperature needle slowly creeped up to M and slightly past when stopped in traffic. I don't know how hot this is, but it seems hotter than I'd like to see... When I was cruising 70mph on the interstate, the needle didn't go past R.

Watching the temperature gauge, I think the thermostat opens when the needle gets between N and O because the needle will drop down below N, and the fan doesn't kick on until it gets between R and M. Does this sound right?

I don't know for sure, but it seems like the fan cycles on and off, because when it got a little past M, the needle started to go down between R and M, then would creep back to M, and slowly go back down...

So my question...Is this temperature condition normal?
How hot is M ?

I have only seen the temperature go to M when the outside temperature is 90+.

When it's below 80, It hardly goes past O.

The car has a fairly new radiator, the overflow is working fine and coolant level is where it should be, doesn't use any coolant and the engine is stock - runs perfect.

Last edited:
The stock oil and temp are a dummy gauges, install a real gauge to see what is actually going on.

Unless you have a chip in the car and the fan temps have been changed, then a way to approximate what temp things are at is note where the needle is when the low speed fan comes on. That is approximately 220F... the high speed fan comes on at 228F.

Fraser

i understand the its suppose to be a dummy gauge.... but why does it always change? aren't dummy gauges just suppose to have just 2 settings? either low or normal?

my temp. gauge was always above past the bold white line on the left. now all of a sudden its been sitting in the "norm" range. what happened?

i found a coolant leak in my radiator so i sealed it with some bars leak. I'm waiting for my griffin radiator to come in, along with a new water pump and 180* t-stat.

but now that i temporarily corrected the problem... its still in the norm?

i understand the its suppose to be a dummy gauge.... but why does it always change? aren't dummy gauges just suppose to have just 2 settings? either low or normal?
Its not that dumb. It just doesn't have markings. The temp gauge usually is good. Now the oil pressure sender is basically on/off.

The change is probably from where you moved the connector on top of the sender (on the thermostat housing) and it cleaned up the connection.

Lol. Yea the oil pressure one is a bit dumb. There's an article on how to make it smart though.. Right?

Back