PDA

View Full Version : Pictures and Videos from NASA Mid-Ohio event 8/14/2010

quick35th
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Enjoy guys! I cant wait for next season to start already. I am planning to travel to some of the southern NASA events in the winter so I can earn my competition license early that way when my local region, Great Lakes, I will be ready. My instructor that road with me didn't say a word to me the entire time I was on track. He drive a Firebird in the same class that I will eventually be in. He said the car has tons of grip (running on those really old tires still) and I was running a good line. Also he said the car will be competitive as the times he said that I was running is not all that far off from the track record. So with more development in my driving and a few tweaks to the car I should be close to front :)

Pictures:

http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/2010-NASA-Great-Lakes-Region/Proof-GalleriesMid-Ohio/HyperDrive-35SC-Thunderbird/13493561_RmNTT#982800446_MioUr

Videos:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ198um62Hs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ198um62Hs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUCAUft06Lg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUCAUft06Lg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have an in-car video from the event but I don't have it uploaded yet. The first video is me passing an 2005 Subaru STi time trial car that was heavily modded :D

Shane

Mike Puckett
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I can't wait to go back to Road Atlanta in November. I'd love to see your in car video. Road racing is soooooo much fun.

quick35th
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Mike,

I will probably be at Road Atlanta sometime around this February or whenever NASA has their event there. I'll be doing that HPDE's working towards my competition license.

Shane

Mike Puckett
09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Let me know when you're going to be there and I can meet you there and do some photos, videos, and pit crew for you. If you've never run Road Atlanta you'll love it. Lots of up and down hills, most of the turns are off camber, and when you come out from under the bridge you drive off a cliff.:eek: A little disconcerting till you get the hang of it.

quick35th
09-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Mike,

I'll definitely let you know when I am headed down your way. I doubt the 2011 NASA schedule is out for whatever region that is under. I just need to be busy this winter heading to the south to get my license done so I can compete in the Great Lakes region in American Iron.

Shane

TwoToneThunder
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
the vette could take it :D

quick35th
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Only if I unplugged four of my plug wires :p

Shane

fturner
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm getting into the road course thing myself up here and it hands down beats the 1/4 mile in the fun factor. If I do decide to pursue it more, the AOD will have to be pulled and the 94 5spd tranny I have now will be going in.

Power wise the car is good, and the suspension is good with the racing Koni's I have, but the brakes suck LOL!

Fraser

Mike Puckett
09-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Your brakes can never be too good. For a once a year track day event like I do, the PBR dual piston caliper upgrade works very well. I ran the EBC yellow pads last year and they worked great but crumbled and wore completely out. I'm trying the Hawk HP+ pads this year and see if they hold up better. For getting serious like Shane is I suspect a 4 or 6 piston caliper is mandatory. And you know, your brakes aren't to slow you down, they set you up for the next turn.

fturner
09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm running the PBR's now but it doesn't take long before I'm getting brake fade. I'm actually learning how to do the brake stab to transfer weight for a turn, and its facinating as I'm focusing on the lines and setting up for the turns instead of speed, the speed comes up on its own as I get better.

With better brakes, I don't think my car would have a prob going over the 100mph mark on the straight stretches at the track I go to in Cayuga, but for now I have to brake early to make the turn or I'm drifting through turn 1.

We actually use the full track here.

http://bmwclub.ca/motorsport/tracks/cayuga.htm

Fraser

TwoToneThunder
09-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Only if I unplugged four of my plug wires :p

Shane

ill take ya in a straight line :D

quick35th
09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Fraser,

What I would suggest to you to help prevent brake fade is to bleed out all of your old brake fluid. In racing if your fluid is over six months old you should bleed it all out because it would have absorbed enough water to effect the fluid's boiling point. I have read enough about how the mustang GT and cobra brakes fade after just a few laps at most tracks. If you are just out to have fun and you are not running a competition race stick with the PBR's unless you have the cash to spend on the better brakes. In the classes that I am in they teach to improve the loose nut behind the wheel before anything else. Learn to drive the car you have now and once you have mastered that you will know what mods to do next and how they will effect the car even before you hit the track. It also helps knowing if you are just going to do track days or actual competition events before modding your car because you might find your car doesn't quite fit in the class you want to run.

Shane

PS, Jim will your car run long enough to make it down that straight line :p

quick35th
09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
For getting serious like Shane is I suspect a 4 or 6 piston caliper is mandatory. And you know, your brakes aren't to slow you down, they set you up for the next turn.

I am running Brembo 4 piston calipers and 13in front rotors on my car. It is a lot of fun coming into a corner stabbing the brakes for a quick second and as a result the car rotates and your back on the gas and through the turn. Such an amazing feeling.

Shane

TwoToneThunder
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
shane it only has to make it to the 1/8th mile and ill coast to victory :p

quick35th
09-06-2010, 01:17 AM
shane it only has to make it to the 1/8th mile and ill coast to victory :p

You must have that new and improved flux capacitor installed in your vette that makes it super fast but no time travel :D

Shane

90SC BIG BLOCK
11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
It's nice to see a Thunderbird road racing like it should . Are you gonna try out for the Redline Time Attack's ? Being faster then any Chevy ......it's the circle of life . Show that blow-by again .

quick35th
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I am not planning on doing any of the Redline Time Attacks, just NASA American Iron.

Shane

BLOWN38
11-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Shane keep us posted when you go to ATL. I might be able to come watch.

quick35th
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Shane keep us posted when you go to ATL. I might be able to come watch.

Cool I'll be sure to let you know.

I just checked the NASA South East schedule today and it looks like I am planning to attend two events: February 11-13 Carolina Motorsports Park and March 11-13 Road Atlanta. Then when the Great Lakes region comes out with their schedule I'll know the April Mid-Ohio date and the way the rest of my year will look.

I need to sit down with my agent (Yes I said I have an agent) and talk over my sponsorship proposal that he and I are putting together so I can hopefully get some backing for this coming season.

Who here thinks it would be cool to see a big red, white, and blue American flag stye SCCoA logo down the side of my car :D

Shane

BLOWN38
11-06-2010, 11:12 PM
The one in February would be better for me. I'll try to make that. SCCoA would be cool.

quick35th
11-07-2010, 04:32 AM
I did a search on youtube for Carolina Motorsport Park and I think that track will be a lot of fun. I didn't even know it existed. I'll let you know as time gets closer that I am for sure making that event and that nothing has come up. With the way the NASA HPDE events are run they don't leave a lot of time between on track and classroom sessions so I'll need a pit crew there to help me out.

Maybe I should contact George or Duffy and see if the sccoa would want to sponsor a traveling competitive NASA American Iron Super Coupe.

Shane

quick35th
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Finally uploaded the in car video :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g0cW7Q9AAg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g0cW7Q9AAg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Shane

Mike Puckett
11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Wow, I could've watched a few more laps of that except for the darned mirror.:D It was best when you were passing the other cars, especially the Beemer. I missed the sign up for this weekend at Road Atlanta. It filled up on the first day and by the time I checked in it was too late. So, I'll wait till the next one. Chin has published their 2011 schedule and they'll be at Atlanta Motorsports Park in April. That's a new road course in Dawsonville about an hour's drive from Road Atlanta. It's brand new and next year will be it's first full year in operation. It's an interesting track with no real long straight aways but it has a big sweeping turn and another smaller one. This time I'll watch the sign up schedule better and get in.

quick35th
11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Passing the BMW was indeed fun but passing the Time Trial '05 Subaru Sti was more fun :D

Mike, NASA will be at Road Atlanta March 11-13th if you would like to attend that event. I as of right now plan on attending that event.

If all goes to plan I am attending 10-12 road race events in the SC during the 2011 season.

Shane

rzimmerl
11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Depending on how busy I am at that time, you could use some pit crew and a co-driver for the trip down. I'll mark the calendar and keep me informed, that autocross event has me wanting more and maybe a trans swap in my car:eek:.

quick35th
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Ryan,

I will definitely need some people to crew for me at events and having someone co-drive to events would be awesome too. You know, if you were up to the task and me letting you take the wheel again :p, for $40 NASA membership plus $60 Hyperdrive you could drive my race car or your car for that matter for 20min on track to scratch that itch that autocross has given you :D

Just so you and everyone else has it here is my 2011 tentative schedule:

-February 11-13 • Carolina Motorsports Park
-March 11-13 • Road Atlanta
-March 25-27 • Virginia International Raceway
-April 8-10 2011 • Mid-Ohio
-May 13-15 2011 • Putnam Park (Crossover)
-June 11-12 2011 • Grattan
-July 15-17 2011 • Mid-Ohio
-August 12-14 2011 • Mid-Ohio (Crossover)
-September 8-11 2011 • NASA National Championships (Mid-Ohio)
-September 17-18 2011 • Autobahn (Crossover)
-October 7-9 2011 • Road America (Championship Crossover)

Somewhere in that schedule will be the Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge. I might fit some autocross into that schedule as well.

Shane

BLOWN38
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
nice video!:cool:

rzimmerl
11-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Thats tempting to get out and drive it again, don't think my car would like 20 minutes of road course. Would we be co-driving each other or an instructor?

quick35th
11-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Hyperdrive isn't setup how autocross is. If you participated in a Hyperdrive you would be on track for just one 20 min session, an instructor would be with you in the car, you would be on track with other cars that signed up for Hyperdrive, and there is a passing restriction to only certain parts of the track.

Shane

neverfastenough
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Looks like fun! Seems like you had no touble overtaking some people, but it doesnt sound like your even pushing the car much, couple corners I think you could knocked it down a gear. Can the current tires not hold it, is in no powersteering making it rough to enter a corner with only 1 hand on the wheel? I just wanted to hear it at 6k rpm more.

Corey

quick35th
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Corey,

I should have down shifted to 3rd in a lot of places. My instructor from April suggested if I can hold a gear without down shifting through a corner to just leave it in that gear because it will save me time, he is a spec miata driver. So I gave that a try but clearly the engine is to low in the rpm range for it's own good lol. While at speed the car is pretty easy to turn but it does take some effort to go through corners at like 80mph and hold a good line. You will hear it over 6k rpm more in future events and the camera is moving to the roof of the car :)

Shane

BLOWN38
11-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Nah leave the camera in car. just lower it alittle.

David Neibert
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Shane,

That was a pretty cool video. What do you think your top speed was ?

David

rzimmerl
11-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Shane, thats not to bad a price to blast around the track in the race car. If I plan I should be able to make all the Mid-Ohio meets for pit crew/driver.

Mike Puckett
11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm working on a tripod dash mount for my camera. I'll have to check the Atlanta Dragway schedule when it comes out to see what weekends I have free. If I can make it I'd be happy to help out if I didn't run my car. I'll check out the NASA website for more info.

quick35th
11-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Shane,

That was a pretty cool video. What do you think your top speed was ?

David

Thanks David! Top speed going down the back straight was 133mph the one time I had a clear run down it.

Shane, that's not to bad a price to blast around the track in the race car. If I plan I should be able to make all the Mid-Ohio meets for pit crew/driver.

Ryan, no not a bad price at all. You would have to be extra careful though, a lot more to hit on course then a bunch of cones :p You know if you get really addicted there is always that cougar that I told you about that we could go in together on.

Shane