Pictures and Videos from NASA Mid-Ohio event 8/14/2010

quick35th

Enjoy guys! I cant wait for next season to start already. I am planning to travel to some of the southern NASA events in the winter so I can earn my competition license early that way when my local region, Great Lakes, I will be ready. My instructor that road with me didn't say a word to me the entire time I was on track. He drive a Firebird in the same class that I will eventually be in. He said the car has tons of grip (running on those really old tires still) and I was running a good line. Also he said the car will be competitive as the times he said that I was running is not all that far off from the track record. So with more development in my driving and a few tweaks to the car I should be close to front :)

Pictures:

http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/2010...SC-Thunderbird/13493561_RmNTT#982800446_MioUr

Videos:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ198um62Hs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ198um62Hs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUCAUft06Lg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUCAUft06Lg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have an in-car video from the event but I don't have it uploaded yet. The first video is me passing an 2005 Subaru STi time trial car that was heavily modded :D

Shane

I can't wait to go back to Road Atlanta in November. I'd love to see your in car video. Road racing is soooooo much fun.

Mike,

I will probably be at Road Atlanta sometime around this February or whenever NASA has their event there. I'll be doing that HPDE's working towards my competition license.

Shane

Let me know when you're going to be there and I can meet you there and do some photos, videos, and pit crew for you. If you've never run Road Atlanta you'll love it. Lots of up and down hills, most of the turns are off camber, and when you come out from under the bridge you drive off a cliff.:eek: A little disconcerting till you get the hang of it.

Mike,

I'll definitely let you know when I am headed down your way. I doubt the 2011 NASA schedule is out for whatever region that is under. I just need to be busy this winter heading to the south to get my license done so I can compete in the Great Lakes region in American Iron.

Shane

I'm getting into the road course thing myself up here and it hands down beats the 1/4 mile in the fun factor. If I do decide to pursue it more, the AOD will have to be pulled and the 94 5spd tranny I have now will be going in.

Power wise the car is good, and the suspension is good with the racing Koni's I have, but the brakes suck LOL!

Fraser

Your brakes can never be too good. For a once a year track day event like I do, the PBR dual piston caliper upgrade works very well. I ran the EBC yellow pads last year and they worked great but crumbled and wore completely out. I'm trying the Hawk HP+ pads this year and see if they hold up better. For getting serious like Shane is I suspect a 4 or 6 piston caliper is mandatory. And you know, your brakes aren't to slow you down, they set you up for the next turn.

I'm running the PBR's now but it doesn't take long before I'm getting brake fade. I'm actually learning how to do the brake stab to transfer weight for a turn, and its facinating as I'm focusing on the lines and setting up for the turns instead of speed, the speed comes up on its own as I get better.

With better brakes, I don't think my car would have a prob going over the 100mph mark on the straight stretches at the track I go to in Cayuga, but for now I have to brake early to make the turn or I'm drifting through turn 1.

We actually use the full track here.

http://bmwclub.ca/motorsport/tracks/cayuga.htm

Fraser

Fraser,

What I would suggest to you to help prevent brake fade is to bleed out all of your old brake fluid. In racing if your fluid is over six months old you should bleed it all out because it would have absorbed enough water to effect the fluid's boiling point. I have read enough about how the mustang GT and cobra brakes fade after just a few laps at most tracks. If you are just out to have fun and you are not running a competition race stick with the PBR's unless you have the cash to spend on the better brakes. In the classes that I am in they teach to improve the loose nut behind the wheel before anything else. Learn to drive the car you have now and once you have mastered that you will know what mods to do next and how they will effect the car even before you hit the track. It also helps knowing if you are just going to do track days or actual competition events before modding your car because you might find your car doesn't quite fit in the class you want to run.

Shane

PS, Jim will your car run long enough to make it down that straight line :p

For getting serious like Shane is I suspect a 4 or 6 piston caliper is mandatory. And you know, your brakes aren't to slow you down, they set you up for the next turn.

I am running Brembo 4 piston calipers and 13in front rotors on my car. It is a lot of fun coming into a corner stabbing the brakes for a quick second and as a result the car rotates and your back on the gas and through the turn. Such an amazing feeling.

Shane

It's nice to see a Thunderbird road racing like it should . Are you gonna try out for the Redline Time Attack's ? Being faster then any Chevy ......it's the circle of life . Show that blow-by again .

Shane keep us posted when you go to ATL. I might be able to come watch.

Cool I'll be sure to let you know.

I just checked the NASA South East schedule today and it looks like I am planning to attend two events: February 11-13 Carolina Motorsports Park and March 11-13 Road Atlanta. Then when the Great Lakes region comes out with their schedule I'll know the April Mid-Ohio date and the way the rest of my year will look.

I need to sit down with my agent (Yes I said I have an agent) and talk over my sponsorship proposal that he and I are putting together so I can hopefully get some backing for this coming season.

Who here thinks it would be cool to see a big red, white, and blue American flag stye SCCoA logo down the side of my car :D

Shane

Back