MSD ignition question

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
When using the MSD Digital 4 plus ignition on an SC, is an Ignition Adaptor required ? The installation instructions aren't very clear on that area.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/62152_instructions.pdf

This is the box I'm thinking about using on my 91 SC.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...MSD_DIS-4_Plus_Distributorless_4_Channel.aspx

Will I also need a pair of these tach adaptors ?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...ch_Adapter_for_DIS_2_and_DIS_4_Ignitions.aspx

David

Last edited:
Read about his recent race experience last night. Continued spark blow out, which means he may have found the limits of the stock ignition system, finaly.

David

This is exactly the set up that is on Wise's old car. I read the install instructions a while ago and believe that it is necessary. Chris would be able to tell you I'm sure.

I read that you expect more than 1 SC to be over 500 whp at the dyno competion. Do you expect yours to be one of these. Also did you figure out why your car didn't like the race fuel? Are you going to have another tune for the race fuel? Good luck with the set up. I'll have the install instructions tomorrow at work so if you have questions and can't get ahold of Chris maybe I can help...

92sclikenew

I assume David is going to use it for a 2 step. It's the only reason I can see that one would install this.

Chris

Engine is missing/backfiring randomly under a load when on the dyno, and even more on the track. Almost never hear it miss on the street because the tires spin too easy. Gapping a fresh set of plugs down to .028 helped but didn't eliminate the missing. New set of wires didn't help either. Adding race fuel made it worse.

Might be too much methanol/water, and we will be installing smaller nozzels to see if that helps. I doubt that's the problem because the two small nozzles I'm using now shouldn't be spraying more than the one large one I've been using for years.

At this point I'm just exploring my options.

David

>At this point I'm just exploring my options

Uhhhh... I know, I know - trade it for a mule and then shoot the mule...?

David:

I used the adapters on mine and have had no problems.

When using the MSD Digital 4 plus ignition on an SC, is an Ignition Adaptor required ? The installation instructions aren't very clear on that area.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/62152_instructions.pdf

This is the box I'm thinking about using on my 91 SC.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...MSD_DIS-4_Plus_Distributorless_4_Channel.aspx

Will I also need a pair of these tach adaptors ?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...ch_Adapter_for_DIS_2_and_DIS_4_Ignitions.aspx

David

I use the single 625ml nozzle. In the 90* air it kept my IAT's to 130 at the end of the track with lots of boost. No missing for me. Just plug fouling on cold starts which should be just the tune. I use NGK BR7EF's gapped at .032".

We spent several hours on the dyno yesterday trying differnt things to eliminate the misfiring, and I'm sure the smaller blower pulley (3.375 vs 3.500) I installed the day before didn't help matters. We changed plugs to a set of 103s gapped to .025, swapped the DIS module, turned down the meth injection, eliminated one of the meth nozzles, increased the percentage of methanol vs water. Nothing really helped.

Later that afternoon we swapped computers and installed Dave's wideband and imediantly noticed the car was running pig rich. After reviewing some data logs Dave concluded the dyno's wideband was reading lean and when tuned to 11.7:1 you were really getting around 10.5:1. After retuning with Dave's wideband we were able to eliminate the misfires on the street.

It's now making about 20.5 pounds of boost instead of 19 and is very close to pegging the Pro M 87mm MAF. Will be going back to the dyno Tuesday or Wednesday for final WOT tuning. Hoping the misfires are history, but if they aren't I imagine the MSD ignition will be the next step.

David

PS: The fuel system upgrades are now complete and I've got enough fuel for 1000 plus HP without using the Boost-a-pump.

Good hear you got some of the issues worked out. Any details on this new fuel system?

Dual 255 lph hi pressure Walbros in a late model tank with a remote mounted Mrk8 fuel level sender. Dave did extensive mods to a fuel pump hat and welded three 6AN 90 degree push lock hose fittings into the hat and upgraded the wiring connector to have 4 insulated terminal post instead of the factry connector, but most of the work was in welding up the dual pump support brackets that hold the two pumps. Kurt K. took a few pictures that I'll post later.

It was an extremly tight fit getting it into the tank, and the sheet metal just above the fuel line connections had to be clearanced (hammered) to get the tank to sit correctly. So I have a 6AN supply line for each pump/fuel rail and a single 6AN return line, with both pumps running all the time. I also installed a crossover fitting just prior to the fuel rails to equalize pressure and flow. The system already had, billet fuel rails and remote mounted regulator with 6AN lines going from each rail to the regulator and a single 6AN returning fuel from the regulator to the fuel tank.

I seriously doubt that Dave will want to make anymore of these dual pump set ups, because it's overkill and a real pain to build and install.

David

PS: Car is running great and I don't think I'll need the MSD ignition...should have some dyno results within the next few days.

Last edited:
Sounds like quite a feat of fabrication and engineering by the SC guru again. Looking forward to the pics of the masterpiece, I figured the dual pumper would be a one off.

Dave, i don't want to say anything negative about the fuel pumps. but i Tell everyone that runs more than one pump this. more than one pump is a very bad idea. because if one pump fails the other will run the engine just fine until you go wide open. the engine will go lean and you will end up with junk. I have run external pumps on stock tanks no problem.

also i do not run tach adapters on my dis4

As far as the MSD goes I know for a fact Coy Miller said he has to have 2 tach adapters on his to make it work when I was at his shop back in 03. Now I don't know how Kevin has his set up so it might be different.

ive had trouble with autolite platinums in at least 2 super coupes and my moms lincoln ls and ngk is junk in my book i learned that in the 70s on dirt bikes i own a garage and have an old champion spark plug tester that you can add air pressure and watch the spark through a window , a brand new ngk blows out around 50 to 60 puonds of air pressure , a good champion gold platinum the spark would get brighter with more air pressure up to 120 pounds of air pressure thats all my compressor had , so i recommend use motorcraft platinums or autolite copper
plug wires are very long too so you need the best

thanks
ralph

Last edited:
Dave, i don't want to say anything negative about the fuel pumps. but i Tell everyone that runs more than one pump this. more than one pump is a very bad idea. because if one pump fails the other will run the engine just fine until you go wide open. the engine will go lean and you will end up with junk. I have run external pumps on stock tanks no problem.

also i do not run tach adapters on my dis4

Kevin,

I understand that losing one pump and not knowing it is a risk, but unless it happens during a pass down the track... I'll know it because of the drop in fuel pressure. I feel much better about this dual pump setup than I did with the single pump and jacking the voltage up 30% with the boost-a-pump.

David

Back