Shifting issues

VINCES

I have a question about my '94 manual trans , if anyone could help...

Earlier in the Spring it was getting a little difficult to shift, so I changed manual fluid with the Penzoil Synchromesh, and added Ford Friction modifier. Trans is original, newer clutch, and almost 150k miles. Felt like it shifted better fro a little while. THe issues were mostly 1st and 2nd gears.

Recently, when i stop, sometimes I cannot get the car into ANY GEAR....I pump the clutch, move the shifter all over, and it will eventually go into gear, sometimes 3rd, then after third, I can get it into first with no issue at all. Seems like it has to go into some gear, then 1st isn't a problem.

Today i was literally stuck for at least a minute, i almost got out to push it, or rock it. then finally went into gear, the last foot of my drive to work (parking).

Also, if I try to 'cheat' by putting car into first as i slow to a stop, i get some grinding, as though everything is still spinning with clutch completely depressed.....and I also noticed, when going into reverse, right after going fwd and stopping, i get grinding as well.

Oddly, other times it shifts very well.....

I read a few posts that I thought were related , but was hoping given the described symptoms, someone might be able to narrow problem down, versus trying everything like bleeding, etc...

Pilot bearing?

Thanks in advance guys!

Sounds like your first gear syncro is worn out. If you can shift into second - or at least partially - then into first that's that problem. Try that. Remember, you don't have to put it all the way in second. just get it into the second gear gate and pull down until you feel it about to fall in. Then, throw it into first, it should slide right in.

Sounds good...but, when it happens, I have just as much trouble getting it into ANY gear, the difference is that when i finally get the trans in any gear, it then enables me to get into first. So not 100% sure it would be 1st Synchro.

Could it be the shifter? I rebuilt it maybe 2000-3000 miles ago....but could that be the issue? It seems to have a lot of side to side play in 1st and at least second gear when in gear....

shifting

Vinces, I am having the same problem. I replaced clutch,pressure plate and slave cylinder. I believe my problem is the shimming of the slave since the clutch doesn't completely disengage. You may remove the inspection cover on the trans and see if there is any oil slung on the inside of the bell housing, if so probably leakage from the slave which is only replaceable by pulling the trans.
There is a procedure to bleed the master cylinder and the slave[I found it on this forum somewhere]. This will remove any gunk in the lines and bleed out any air bubbles. It's worth a try.
As to the shifter sloppiness--try mackstrans.com---He may still have shifter bushings
good luck
john

Good ideas. As far as I know, only the clutch was replaced before I bought the car. He gave me the old clutch as well, since it wasn't totally shot.

I may look for a B&M...I had put one in my '95. Wish I would have when I rebuilt the shifter.

My goal is to keep this one, and redo most of the car someday, but just not now. So looking for easy ays to keep it on the road...it has become my summer daily driver, as soon as the weather turns, I will be back in the Explorer.

Could the slopiness of the shifter be causing car not to go into any gear?

Today driving to work was much better. Especially early in the trip....then right before i got here, it got a little fussy....Zero GRINDING today, when I slipped it into first while slowing to a stop. But a couple of times a little minor issue getting into gear from a standstill in bumper to bumper...just a pain in A.. to hold clutch in while in stop and go traffic.

YES! The sloppiness is because the bolts are loose at bottom of shifter. Which also means the tension spring inside is probably gone somewhere else. It's been years since I looked in the inside of the shifter itself but, you better tighten up them bolts. The spring you can drive without.... but the stick. NO!:D

Answer this first; Do you mean the shifter feels blocked, like as in there seems to be no opening for it to shift into, or you feel the shifter is lined up ok, but clunks and won't go into gear?

Back