exhaust

dexter302

in my crawler project,, im kinda limited for space for exhaust..
does this sound acceptable??

the pipes are going to "y" into each other either under the engine or just under the trans.. then run down the p/s to behind the rear wheel..
2 1/2 in ch pipe. no resonators, with magnaflow hi flow cat, (removable with flanges) and then a borla pro xs muffler..

my questions are.. will this flow enough?? 10% od pully, maybe 15%(its not going to see top rpms very often, its a rock crawler, not a 1/4 mile rocket)

does borla sound good on these engines with no resonators, but with cat?, and without?... i dont want extremly loud. but a nice throwty sound would be nice...

i heard a long time ago, one with flowmaster 40's, and it sounded good, but i dont know if it had resonators and cats... (but i have the borla muffler already sitting in the shop) will buy flowys if borla is ~~~~~~...

is pipe size sufficiant?

headers may be added at a later time,, cant do it now...

anything do in terms of exhaust???

sorry for sooo many questions the last few days.. just trying to get this thing done.

pics when completed.....

noone has input on a borla muffler?
i cant find anything on you tube either.. only flowwys and a couple bassani's

i dont want extremly loud. but a nice throwty sound would be nice...

It's a V6 - if you're looking for that nice V8 burble, etc., you may be disappointed.

Build a system that will let it breathe - the notorious V6 drone that most SC owners fear may not come into play when all you're doing is gunning and coasting, so keep it simple. You might also consider going with plan A just to see what does/doesn't work and then tailor what you learn there into plan B later.

You might want to find a local shop that knows about V6 pitfalls and let them suggest something nice and clean. Just keep in mind that the experiences here are far different from your crawler, so unless you can find someone who has BTDT, you can't take away from the 'normal' SC setup much at all.

kmt,, your a bottomless pit of info... Thanks.

One more questiong though,,, the 2 resonators right where the pipes bolt up to the stock manifolds, are they nessisary or just to get rid of drone?

kmt,, your a bottomless pit of info... Thanks.

One more questiong though,,, the 2 resonators right where the pipes bolt up to the stock manifolds, are they nessisary or just to get rid of drone?

The cats? In my opinion, definitely. Some people decide to run them without however.

-Corey

Those two units right after the manifolds should be the catalytic converters.

thumbBuilder.ashx

-=-
thumbBuilder.ashx

...this is the muffler system, AFTER the catalytic converters. Muffler first, then resonators at each outlet.

Running strictly offroad, I would consider hiflow downtubes with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" with or without cats:
http://www.supercoupeperformance.co...250&imgPath=images/items/145/327251245948.jpg

...diameter depends on what you're doing for the rest of the system. All this can depend on your power/torque band - do you know what that curve looks like yet?

Just crawling, I don't think you'd get up in a range where drone would be a large issue (no passengers, right? :) ), but who knows for a crawler. You may have to build it and see how it works for your case and then get ready to tweak it once you've had a chance out and about.

But again, not much you can do to get a nice, throaty tone like a V8 :)

Back