92 thunderbird sc high on oxides of nitrogen

mikesc76

I took my 92 Thunderbird SC to emissions and it failed, because it was high on the nitrogen oxides.Can someone tell me how to fix the problem? Thanks.

2 times Ive had high Nox, it was from carbon build up in the cylinders. Running seafoam through and/or that small orange bottle from azone cleaned it out and brought the Nox levels down. The 3rd time was from worn out cats which was caused by a long running rich condition. BTW, Cats don't wear out. they can last for 300000+ miles. They fail from impact damage, excess fuel, or from contaminants such as antifreeze.

x2 on seafoam/bad cats

2 times Ive had high Nox, it was from carbon build up in the cylinders. Running seafoam through and/or that small orange bottle from azone cleaned it out and brought the Nox levels down. The 3rd time was from worn out cats which was caused by a long running rich condition. BTW, Cats don't wear out. they can last for 300000+ miles. They fail from impact damage, excess fuel, or from contaminants such as antifreeze.

mine were high also (but still in spec) ran some seafoam and put a new exhaust on the car and next smog check was way lower.
MikeH

Back