Cleaning inside radiator, will Drano work?

phils89sc

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using liquid draino to try to clean the gunk out from inside their radiator? It might sound crazy, but I was just wondering. The radiator is out of the car now. Any thoughts?

Thanks

i wouldnt use draino. not sure what it will do to materials used in radiators.

i have heard of people laying them flat with hose connections facing up and filling with every day vinegar. or better yet use a product called CLR. (calcium, lime, rust) youll be supprised what comes out.

then flush with regular water.

The entire thing? If any of it gets into your motor you could damage things. The drano isn't very cheap you can just go buy the actual radiator flush solvent for the same amount of money or less.
Alan

Well, I have the radiator out of the car, so the chance of it getting to the engine is none. I have the radiator flush, and I think I will also try the CLR stuff first to see how thAt works. I appreciate the advice.

Well, I have the radiator out of the car, so the chance of it getting to the engine is none. I have the radiator flush, and I think I will also try the CLR stuff first to see how thAt works. I appreciate the advice.

None ONLY if you manage to get 100% of it out of the radiator.

NOT something I'd trust to.

Flush on the car, use pressure via water hose across, or just replace the thing.

RwP

I've bought time for my old rads by uing CLR. It works OK. And no problems with residue. However, I ultimately ended up buying new ones because the old ones would eventually spring a leak somewhere. :(

Take it to a local radiator shop and have it done there...or buy a new one.

I think the guy was saying ythat your core i aluminun and not the top and bottom ( or sides ) they can be brass. As for the CLR I'm not sure what it's composition is. I know for a fact that chlorine will eat aluminum for breakfast. So you shouldn't use anything with a hydrogen chloride base. Including house bleach, mineral spirits, muratic acid, or any other trade name it goes under. I thought the vinegar was a great idea. It's still an acid.

Back