Interesting spark plug wire issue..

Massoketsc

Okay so a little update.. I was reading up in my Chilton's manual and a couple of other sources.. in which it describes the Thunderbird SC as having a DIS instead of a distributor? Is this correct? I am really not up to par completely on everything with these cars and all of the meanings, but I am learning!

Another dumb question.. if it has a distributorless system, does that mean that it would not have a distributor cap? and being so, is the cap what the plug wires plug into underneath the hood? .. Only reason I ask, is that my car has something that they plug into, and I can un-plug them, and my Chilton book does not specify a year/model in which has a DIS and which has a distributor, but only describes how to take apart/install onto the cap/rotor etc. I just want to make sure I get all the parts right for when I decide to get this work done ;) I know i am a rookie, but there is only one way to learn :)

I have received quotes from 3 different places, two decent local shops, and a ford dealership(i knew this would be sky high, just wanted a comparison).. cheapest I could have a tune-up done with plugs and wires was $300, second was $380, and third (dealership) was $450.. first shop said I needed platinum plugs, second said it called for Iridium, dealership did not specify, but all said that there was much more labor involved than normal tune-ups (as one place has a special for $49 for tune-up, yet mine would be $300 because of the labor).. is this a fair quote?

Anyhow.. enough blabbering, I just wish I had the place to do it, and knew how to do this crap myself, it is rather embarrassing that I have to pay somebody almost a weeks worth of pay just to change out 6 plugs and wires :p

Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:
this is all you need for spark plugs: flex head ratchet, 2- 3" extensions and a universal joint socket. all 3/8". you dont necessarily need the flex head ratchet but it helps A LOT.

for the pass. side take the intake tube and coolant overflow off and you should be able to get to the 3 of them. on the driver side you have to do them from underneath the car. not too hard it took me about an hour and a half the first time i did them, now it takes about half an hour.

if this doesnt help do a search of the forum.

Edited!

edited the first post, trying to clear up some of my own confusion.. which does not seem like it is going to happen anytime soon! :)

All SC have a DIS ignition system. You will not find a distributor cap on this vehicle. The thing the plug wires plug into is the coil pack. The first shop quoting platinum plugs is correct. From the sounds of it you would be better off taking it to a shop to have this done. As far as the qoute from the independent shops, figure $100 for decent parts and the shops mark up and 3 hours labor at probably around $70 dollars an hour= $210. $100 + $210 = $310.

Is there any reason you want to change them. If the vehicle is running fine don't expect new plugs and wires to change anything. It might cause more headaches than its worth. The aftermarket wires that most independent shops will use are going to be lower quality than the stock wires with 100K miles on them.

yes, 89-95 supercharged thunderbirds and cougars all have DIS systems. theres no cap just a coil(the thing right next to the intercooler tube that has the 6 fat wires coming out of it).

all you will need is plugs and wires. the coil rarely goes bad unless it gets damaged somehow.

where are you located at? if you are close to me ill help you out.

Unfortunately I live in the Seattle area so that is a no go, and to answer the other question, it is not just a random deciding to change the wires, at least two of the wire ends that plug into the coil pack are jacked up because of the genius who installed them I am guessing did not put any care into it. I would really rather not do it if I didn't have to :). I just wish this car was as easy to change them out as my explorer was, but I have to admit..this car is much more fun to drive.. Thanks for the responses guys. My chilton manual is fired :)

this is all you need for spark plugs: flex head ratchet, 2- 3" extensions and a universal joint socket. all 3/8". you dont necessarily need the flex head ratchet but it helps A LOT.

And a strong grip. And patience. And tolerance for pain and confined spaces. :D

I think the best way to change the plugs is with the vehicle on jackstands and you laying on your back. (I mean, use a lift if you have it, but I don't.)

DemonSC said:
yes, 89-95 supercharged thunderbirds and cougars all have DIS systems. theres no cap just a coil(the thing right next to the intercooler tube that has the 6 fat wires coming out of it).

True, no distributor on an SC. In the distributor cap's place is a cam sensor. The base of the cam sensor assembly is basically the same as the base of the distributor assembly that came on the non-SC cars.

Changing plug and wires isn't an easy chore on these cars.

A garage is going to charge you big for labor and it won't likely get done right. Don't take it to anybody that doesn't know the Super Coupe or you'll end up with a half a$$ job because the person doing it will likely not do them all trying to make time on the overall job. Yup that happen to me.

I've had two super coupes and one had the wrong plugs in them when I got it. This is likely due to someone not understanding which car they were working on or just didn't care. As I remember it had three different types of plugs in it.

If you plan on doing it yourself, expect to spend most of the day doing it. There's several hundred post over the years regarding this topic. Do a good search and spend some time reading. Be sure to have the right tools, parts and expendables before starting. If you have or have a friend with fingers like ET, you're one up on the chore.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I live in the Seattle area so that is a no go, and to answer the other question, it is not just a random deciding to change the wires, at least two of the wire ends that plug into the coil pack are jacked up because of the genius who installed them I am guessing did not put any care into it. I would really rather not do it if I didn't have to :). I just wish this car was as easy to change them out as my explorer was, but I have to admit..this car is much more fun to drive.. Thanks for the responses guys. My chilton manual is fired :)

Where in the area are you? I live in Tacoma, and have done it in my car.

area

I am actually in the kent area, so not too far away.. I was able to pop the plug wire back in and noticed a considerable difference, but I think I should get them changed out anyhow sooner than later.

Back