Stuttering Around 5lbs of Boost With a Solution!

BlownSix

Hey guys,

I thought I'd post this problem plus the solution in case anyone is having a similar problem.

A little bit of a back story first: Took the SC out to dinner a few weeks ago. When we left, it was raining HARD. We accelerated onto the interstate and Oh No!tThe car stalled out. Eh? Pulled over to the side of the road and tried starting it a few times. Nothing. Then on the 4th try, it started up. We gently drove her home. Well, I drive nearly 50 miles round trip to work everyday so this needed to get fixed asap. Funny thing was, the car ran fine until you tried to get into boost. So, I just stayed out of the pedal for a week. That next weekend we were going to change the plugs and see if that was the culprit (had some already). Well, the BF decides to pull the air box (unknown reason lol. Or maybe I just forgot). Guess what? There was 1/2+ gallon of WATER in there! :eek: Guess we sucked it up getting on the interstate (there aren't any inner fenders currently. Guess they need to go back in asap lol).

Anyway, drained that (and drilled a hole in the bottom just in case) and put in a new air filter and she ran like a scalded dog! Yay! Well, we had Autolite's in there and had actually replaced the back 2 driver side plugs with the Motorcraft's we had. Car ran fine for about a week, and then it developed a stuttering around 5psi. Great. More problems.

This is my daily driver. Eh.

We decided we were going to swap the Autolite's back and see if that even helped. BF is at work so I decided to go out there and do it. Swapped them back out, added dialectic grease and went for a test drive.

Verdict? FIXED! I had a huge grin on my face, like this: :D

We won't be mixing plugs again.

Water may have damaged those cylinders and that damage may also have been what caused the plugs to foul. I'd suggest doing a compression test on all cylinders to see if you have a problem.

David

I'll do one just to make sure, but the plugs actually looked fine. I think it was just mixing the two brands. The Autolite's had a bigger electrode. The Motorcraft ones were really small.

Back