PDA

View Full Version : Weakly Into the 12's.

Mike8675309
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
While it is killing me to go racing with a limited slip that doesn't slip and street tires, I still find a way to have some fun. This past weekend I was up in Brainerd, MN at the NHRA Brainerd International Raceway for the 22nd Annual Muscle Car Shootout. They draw around 300 cars from the surrounding states and Canada including some of the fastest "street" cars around with cars in the Real Street class dipping into competitive times for the Outlaw class.

My best ET of the weekend came on a windy and cool Friday afternoon where I managed to find a moment of zen where everything just worked and I managed to not spin off the line. I clocked my best 60' with this car so far at a 2.091 (street tires with a bad limited slip). I didn't miss any gears and was watching my AFR gauge since I have fuel pressure issues. So at about the 1000 foot mark I see my AFR gauge bang super lean (pegged lean) causing me to pull my foot off the accelerator and cringe waiting for parts to explode out of the motor. In the mean time I coast through the traps to a record (for me) 12.907 ET at 103.86mph.

As I limp the apparently running fine motor back to my pits/camp site I take a look at my data logging and see that the narrow band sensors are happily switching back and forth based on the commanded 14.7 AFR even though the Wide band is pegged at AFR of 44 - 60. ~~~? I let the car cool and I check all the connections. I jack it up and check the wide band sensor and harness. Everything is fine. No holes in the exhaust. Wires are fine. Connector is fine. I let the car down, start it up. Wide band works fine.

In the next round I am sitting in staging and the wide band goes super lean again. I start ignoring the wide band and just drive the car.

Unfortunately I could not duplicate that run again. Between too much wheel spin, or not enough throttle, I just could not find the right combination again. The closest I could get was a 13.038 @ 110.99 in the last round on Saturday. In the eliminations for my class (71 cars in the class) on Sunday I was out in the 1st round. I had hopes of channeling the necessary driver skill for another 12.9 so I dialed a 12.95 and ended up blowing it in reaction time (a .219 to a .046) as well as in my launch leading to a 60ft time of 2.310 and an ET of 13.213 @110.39

The event was fun. Camping with buddies, even when cold (37F mornings) can be fun. And how can you beat 4 days of racing and hanging around fast cars and chatting with car folks. (sounds like the SC shootout)

here is a video of my car in the finals where I blew it.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u82-mqGf96Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u82-mqGf96Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is a video of a Twin Turbo 427 small block Mustang that eventually was running mid 7's to take the #1 spot in his class but lost in the semi-finals. Note the time with 3 wheelies on the run.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCR90m2gmlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCR90m2gmlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here is my car waiting in line to tech Friday morning. The Tech here was the first time anyone ever checked if my battery cut off switch actually cut anything off (they didn't check last year). Told me to start it up so he could push the lever.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Jp62dpZLZRg/TIERGK5DGMI/AAAAAAAAAUA/fO5iPvkNFkY/s800/Sept_3_2010_8305.jpg

ricardoa1
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Nice MPH, these darn M5R2 ARGH, they just suck.

My Mazda MS6 is now the smoothest transmission I have ever owed. I have not missed a shift and gears are nice and tight. I wish my SC had a fraction of what this Jap trans feels like.

Ira R.
09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Great job Mike!!

Ira

Mike8675309
09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
A couple other things that I just recalled.

#1 - Looks like I busted my drivers side motor mount sometime on Friday. the rest of the weekend it looked like my blower outlet tube that comes out of the hood was going to leap out of the hood.
#2 - Starting line guys don't like it if when you drive around the water box your rear tire hits his cone.

My M5R2 is kind of a pain to drive on the street. But on the track I rarely have run into any issues. As long as the trans is working, I don't even have to think about it. I watch the tach, oil pressure, track and my left foot and right hand just take care of business. It's my head and my right foot that seem to be challenged the most.

Ira R.
09-08-2010, 09:49 AM
A couple other things that I just recalled.

#1 - Looks like I busted my drivers side motor mount sometime on Friday. the rest of the weekend it looked like my blower outlet tube that comes out of the hood was going to leap out of the hood.
#2 - Starting line guys don't like it if when you drive around the water box your rear tire hits his cone.

My M5R2 is kind of a pain to drive on the street. But on the track I rarely have run into any issues. As long as the trans is working, I don't even have to think about it. I watch the tach, oil pressure, track and my left foot and right hand just take care of business. It's my head and my right foot that seem to be challenged the most.

Something to remember that wiser heads than mine are always telling me.... ;)

.....your hand is faster then your foot.

Ira

David Neibert
09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Looks like fun...best I could manage on street tires was a 13.2 @ 116.

David

Toms-SC
09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
What are you running for street tires mike?

Mike8675309
09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
The advantage I had at Brainerd this year was my switch from the Late Model Open class to the Strip Eliminator 2 class. I had noticed the last few years that the LMO class received no love from the track, and often had the least number of runs of all the classes. SE2 was an index class with bracket racing (LMO non-indexed bracket) accepting cars between 11.5 and 13.5.

The advantage in this case is they would do massive track prep for the fast 5 classes (cars running high 6 to mid 8). Then run the SE1 class (faster than 11.5) and then run our class. Thus we had some pretty good track prep if we stayed in the groove. (LMO was always the last class to run)

With little to no burn out (one wheel wonder) I would just spin the tire(s) for a moment to get the rocks or dirt off. If I wasn't just oh so careful, the tire(s) would spin all the way through 1st. That I managed one run without any wheel spin (that I noticed) to get the 12.9 was a shock.

I am running Nitto555 tire 245/45r17 in the front and 275/40r17. I aired the tires to 41lbs in the rear and 40lbs in the front for my drive up to Brainerd (averaged 21mpg on E85). I didn't touch them at the track. Then turned around and drove home. Had I been more competitive, I might have tried tweaking pressures. But to be honest, without a functional locking diff, I'm just happy to have fun with the car. Once I get that locking diff and new axle shafts, I'll be all business.

Over the past 3 weeks, I've put 550 miles on the car and tires, 7 runs down a dragstrip, and 12 runs on an auto cross course with nothing of note failing (other than the wideband sensor).

Ira R.
09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
The advantage I had at Brainerd this year was my switch from the Late Model Open class to the Strip Eliminator 2 class. I had noticed the last few years that the LMO class received no love from the track, and often had the least number of runs of all the classes. SE2 was an index class with bracket racing (LMO non-indexed bracket) accepting cars between 11.5 and 13.5.

The advantage in this case is they would do massive track prep for the fast 5 classes (cars running high 6 to mid 8). Then run the SE1 class (faster than 11.5) and then run our class. Thus we had some pretty good track prep if we stayed in the groove. (LMO was always the last class to run)

With little to no burn out (one wheel wonder) I would just spin the tire(s) for a moment to get the rocks or dirt off. If I wasn't just oh so careful, the tire(s) would spin all the way through 1st. That I managed one run without any wheel spin (that I noticed) to get the 12.9 was a shock.

I am running Nitto555 tire 245/45r17 in the front and 275/40r17. I aired the tires to 41lbs in the rear and 40lbs in the front for my drive up to Brainerd (averaged 21mpg on E85). I didn't touch them at the track. Then turned around and drove home. Had I been more competitive, I might have tried tweaking pressures. But to be honest, without a functional locking diff, I'm just happy to have fun with the car. Once I get that locking diff and new axle shafts, I'll be all business.

Over the past 3 weeks, I've put 550 miles on the car and tires, 7 runs down a dragstrip, and 12 runs on an auto cross course with nothing of note failing (other than the wideband sensor).

Shhhhhh... you want it should hear you?

Ira

BirdofPrey97
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Great Job Mike! Did Paul show up to run? Who all made it? Those are always fun times up there. :)

Mike8675309
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Shhhhhh... you want it should hear you?

Meh, as I always, I tell the car to bring it on. I don't fear it and it doesn't fear me.

I'm actually going to be pulling it apart here soon. I've got an irritating oil leak which I am blaming on the intake manifold end seals. I'm also loosing some coolant and it isn't going into the oil, and no smoke out the exhaust. But for the sake of being ready next season as well as turning up the wick a bit, I'm gonna pull the heads and take a look see. I'll try to get that done before the snow flies so I can drive the car over to the shop that will be fabricating my headers this winter.

Did Paul show up to run? Who all made it?

No Paul. Only folks I knew and hanged out with were Chris (no drag race), Justin (aka Dubbsy) with his Mustang Cobra, and Pat (89 SC). Ryan (ice217 from umtc) stopped by and had his t-bird up there but wasn't racing, he was drinking.

Mike8675309
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
So I don't have a trailer thus I drive to most events. For this one I was camping for 4 days as well at the event. Luckily I didn't need to fit my tires, or a passenger. Here is a video I did showing how much stuff, I fit into my car so I can drive to the track. make some passes. And drive it back home.

<object width="630" height="380">
<param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tloO4NGvZPA&ap=%2526fmt%3D22" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" />
<param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="630" height="380" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tloO4NGvZPA&ap=%2526fmt%3D22"></embed></object>

Kurt K
09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
You car seems a little more cramped than mine was when I drove it to Western PA for the Ohio Valley meet with my wife and both kids. Since both of my kids are so young they are both in full size car seats, not booster seats; and we needed a stroller. Definitely cool to see people drive their stuff to an event.

I think you should have filmed the actual packing using time lapsed frames and then sped up the replay rate :)

S_Mazza
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Nice run. Who owns the red Thunderbird a few cars ahead of you in line? Anyone here?

Mike8675309
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
If I had a tripod for my cell phone, I would have given it a shot. though it took me about 3 hours to pack since I would put some things in, then listen to a race, then put some things in and walk over and watch a race. then put some more things in... you get the picture.

Biggest thing cramping it was the EZ-Up I brought with that won't fit in the trunk or across the back seat so I lay the passenger seat down and set it there. Good thing I did though, as our epic tarp attempt (tarp was 49' x 32') failed due to wind and rain and the other shelter a buddy brought up collapsed under the weather onslaught. (we ended up tying it off to my ez-up to keep it standing)

The red SC took the class win in the stock 6 cylinder Turbo/Supercharged class. That was the first SC I ever purchased and I sold it to him years ago when it had a black hood and mismatched fender color. He fixed it up, rebuilt the motor, trans, diff, got it painted, and now races it from time to time. He was a young man back in the 60's and used to drag race cars back then. His reaction times are deadly consistent as well as his 60ft times. He loves the SC, saying it reminds him a lot of a car he had back then. I think he browses the site here, and I know he has bought some parts here, but isn't a big internet poster.

S_Mazza
09-18-2010, 12:00 AM
That is quite a packing job. That's cool that your former SC got a new lease on life as well.

superbirdx
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice MPH, these darn M5R2 ARGH, they just suck.

My Mazda MS6 is now the smoothest transmission I have ever owed. I have not missed a shift and gears are nice and tight. I wish my SC had a fraction of what this Jap trans feels like.

Yeah that's unfortunate. Especially considering the SC's M5R2 is a Mazda built trans as well.

XR7 Dave
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah that's unfortunate. Especially considering the SC's M5R2 is a Mazda built trans as well.

It's easy to make a transmission capable of 250ftlbs torque shift nice and smooth. It's a whole different thing to get one with higher torque capacity to shift nicely.

That and technology has improved over the past 25 years, believe it or not. In 1989 the SC transmission was one of the best shifting manuals out there, it was light years better than the T5.

ricardoa1
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I just dont like the gear ratios that they picked. But I supposed thats what makes it stronger.

Mike did you go around the water box. On your video it looks like you drove thru it and cleaned it up after. There is not much you can do on street tires and high 12s is pretty decent on them. Nittos are great I ran a 12.8 on my cobra on Nittos 555s I had little over 400WHP when I did it.

Mike8675309
11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Mike did you go around the water box. On your video it looks like you drove thru it and cleaned it up after. There is not much you can do on street tires and high 12s is pretty decent on them. Nittos are great I ran a 12.8 on my cobra on Nittos 555s I had little over 400WHP when I did it.

I went around the water box twice, but hit the stupid cone both times so I said screw it and just went through the box and would clean off the tires. I did the best I could with the car acting as a one wheel wonder. Managing wheel spin was the rule of the day with only one run with any real success.

I expect significant improvement the next time I get to a track, perhaps early summer 2011.

kenewagner
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I went around the water box twice, but hit the stupid cone both times so I said screw it and just went through the box and would clean off the tires. I did the best I could with the car acting as a one wheel wonder. Managing wheel spin was the rule of the day with only one run with any real success.

I expect significant improvement the next time I get to a track, perhaps early summer 2011.

Are you going to try and be at the Club Clash in the spring? I too am a one wheel wonder at the moment. Last burn out at the shootout I was just smoking one tire:rolleyes:

Ken

Mike8675309
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Are you going to try and be at the Club Clash in the spring?

I will be there, not 100% sure if the 93 will though. It's a goal, but higher on the list is doing things right. I have a significant amount of $$ to invest in getting the car ready for the track. Paydays only come so fast. That will limit how soon the car is ready.

At the moment, I have a high probability of having the 93 there for the spring with it's new differential, axles, fuel system, exhaust and headers, though I don't think I'll have drag tires yet. After that I'll probably take it down again as I have a couple more things I want to do before the Shootout in the fall. The spring setup is just to compare the headers vs my stock exhaust performance. For the fall I will be refining a bunch of stuff that should improve things further.

decipha
11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
i take it you were on e85 during those passes?

Mike8675309
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
i take it you were on e85 during those passes?

yes. e85. Started it July 4th 2010, and haven't gone back.