Silly question about headlight bulbs..

Massoketsc

I have searched a bit and couldn't find a direct answer, so I figured I would just start a new thread.. I found a decent 9007 sized HID kit on craigslist for cheap, and was curious if it would fit in my 93 SC without any modification? I don't want to change anything with any wiring or sizing etc.. just wanted to know if I could pop em in and make it work :) I want to get a HID kit for the car, and lots are for sale, but have not found many that will fit the ol' bird..

thanks in advance :)

It's highly recommended that you go to projectors to make sure the light goes on the road and not the oncoming driver's eyes.

THAT said -

1) Add a relay harness to take the current off the Multi Function Switch in the steering column. This do even if you DON'T go HID. I ordered a couple like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9005...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2947wt_1165 and was lucky - one came in red, one came in white for the sockets!

2) On my Malibu, I've got a 35W kit from DDM Tuning ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/ ). I bought it on sale, shipped, for about $35 (!!), but I needed to beef up the wiring to get the passenger side to strike. I've got the relay harness, and will be swapping that out some weekend soon.

3) ALIGN THE HEADLIGHTS! ALIGN THE HEADLIGHTS! ALIGN THE HEADLIGHTS!!!!!

Oh, almost forgot #0 - CLEAN THE HEADLIGHTS!!! Use a restoration kit and mucho elbow grease to make sure the lenses are as clear as possible.

RwP

Headlight switch

I don't know if anything changed in the later models, but I can tell you that some of the earlier models (1990 specifically) had a problem with the switches overheating. This causes the headlights to blink on and off. Rather unsettling. I had this happen to me while I have following a Florida H.P. guy a few years ago. A great way to meet cops. The Point, be careful with anything that will increase the load through the switch.

all you need to do with those kits is run a relay. use the power from the stock headlamp bulb to activate a relay and run the new ignitors right to a chassis ground and positive right to battery. they will work every time.

i have all my cars converted with the cheap ebay kits (i think the most money i spent was 75 bucks for my ford truck with high low kit). and I love them.

yes clean headlamps first (the kit to get is 3m headlamp restore kit, uses a drill and has buffing wheels and such ... abot 30 bucks).

align headlamps.

i would advise against using a kit for high beam also. just put the kit on low beam and use a good silverstar bulb on high beam side. The reason for this is that the bulbs will take a second to turn on (ignite) and get full brite. so if you use the flash to pass (flash your high beams) it will damage the light ignitor over time and it really doesnt work due to the delay.

you will love them when done.

re

Well I came across a 9005 kit online, and I think I am going to snag it.. I already cleaned up my headlights a couple weeks ago from the weathering and it looks much better, sure beats spending 100+ on a new housing set. Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone, the information from this site is priceless.

Back