PDA

View Full Version : brake proportioning valve ?

RedCoupe92
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
The front part of what I believe to be the proportioning valve that leads to the rear brakes is leaking very badly on my '92 SC. In the manual, it is item #3N824 and I'm told the Ford P# is FOSZ3N824A. Does anyone have any idea where I can find this part? Thanks, Jim.

rickbtbird
09-11-2010, 12:52 PM
This part number FOSZ3N824A is listed on a ford parts site at http://www.teamfordparts.com as a SW ASY-PWR STNG AUX $77.86

RalphP
09-11-2010, 03:21 PM
The front part of what I believe to be the proportioning valve that leads to the rear brakes is leaking very badly on my '92 SC. In the manual, it is item #3N824 and I'm told the Ford P# is FOSZ3N824A. Does anyone have any idea where I can find this part? Thanks, Jim.

That's actually, if I'm not mistaken, the ARC firmness switch - when brake pressure exceeds 400psi, it firms up the ARC shocks when in "Auto" mode.

If you don't have ARC, or are planning to disable it - I used a M10-1.25 bolt and some teflon tape there to stop Sweetie's car from leaking.

If the car never had ARC, then feel free to ignore this.

RwP

rickbtbird
09-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I replaced one on my 90SC. Then it blew a gasket (another story) Easy Job but the part isn't cheap for the size of it. I think I got mine from Rock Auto but that was like 4 years ago.

RedCoupe92
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. You led me in the right direction. It's listed as a power steering pressure switch at both Rock Auto and Team Ford Parts. The exact function I'm not sure about as mine does not have a connector plugged into it, and the brake line out goes to the rear. It is a 3/8-24 (fine thread), so I bought a 3/8-24x 3/4" long hex bolt, ground it down to 1/2" long, put a 5/16" I.D. o-ring on it and snugged it down. Seems to have done the trick. Next time I change the oil, I'll see if I can find the connector, and if I do, then maybe I'll buy the pressure switch. $2.00 vs. $80.00 for now. Again, thanks guys, Jim.

RalphP
09-14-2010, 05:10 PM
So - do you have the Adjustable Ride Control (ARC)?

If you don't, then that answers one of MY questions.

3/8-24, huh? I'll have to get one and replace the M10-1.25 I have in there.

RwP

RedCoupe92
09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes Ralph, I have the ARC. It is pretty much functional automatically, as it comes on when I corner the way I sometimes do, and at a certain speed. However, I believe I need to replace the auto/firm switch again because it's no longer working, and I would like to have the firm ride when I want it, not just when I need it. I will look thru the electrical diagrams to see if I can find the connector and where it goes, and get her on a lift to do a more thorough search for it than I could on the ramps in my dirt driveway.
Jim.

RalphP
09-15-2010, 09:02 AM
If you have the ARC, then you'll want to buy the pressure switch when you can and replace that bolt.

The connector on mine comes down from the brake master cylinder area (well, technically from the ABS unit - it's a Teves Mk II).

RwP