poor heat

quicktsi

I am banging my head against the wall. I have little to no heat. The wife said after 20 minutes of driving and set to 90 still nothing this morning. The AC is okay. It blows air out of which ever vent you choose. Below I have listed everything I have done. It is acting just like it did, before I did all the work.

I did the headgaskets a few months ago. I flushed the heater core while everything was apart. I replaced the t-stat with a factory temp range. Plenty of coolant. The system has been burped. I have no issue with the car overheating.

I have searched, "low heat", "poor heat", "no heat". What am I missing? What should I be checking or replacing.

Get your hands on a heat temp gun and bring the car up to full temp...start at the thermostat housing just outside the block and map temp there, then move to the radiator top hose center, then radiator top section center. Move next to the heater hoses right where they enter the firewall and go into the cabin.

Post those findings here and someone will check and confirm on their car.

Use the results to find out if the issue is or isn't related to the heater core inside the cabin.

If your cooling system is consistent with other cars, then the issue is at the core and due to lack of air flow. If your system is not consistent, the issue is either in the core or the immediate system that feeds it (and/or something odd such as a reversed or dropped stat, etc)....whichever should be apparent by comparing temps to another car that has a properly functioning heater.

I've seen Fords in the past that have had a baffle inside the heater core shift and block coolant flow. I've also fished some pretty interesting debris out of the upper dash vents on more than one vehicle over the years :)

If your temp guage reads in the NORM range, you have the correct amount of coolant in the reservoir, then its a 90% chance that your heater core is clogged. This happens a lot. I've had limited luck with back flushing the core. Even though I get some debris out of the lines and relatively free flow when done, its works better but still doesn't get hot. A new core seems to work the best.

I'm assuming you have automatic climate control as you said your wife set it to 90. Your blend door is stuck because the actuator is bad or has no power. You can perform the acc test to see what if any codes it will display.

Last edited:
Back