89-93 auto trans shfting points

rapper33142

I have a 92 sc with a transgo shift kit in it . I got some motor work does and upgrade but ever sins I got the car back I feel like the car is shifting to fast it like by 35 mph I'm in O D and in 3rd it feels boged down like if I'm driving a stick and u go for 2rd to 5th. Can some one help or got some ideas . Thanks.

JR

anyone help me please :eek:

Have to change the length of the tranny cable.

There is a lock clip that pulls out and then you can move it.
SMALL increments!!

Someone else will chime in and say whether to shorten or lengthen it to bring the shift point up.

The shift points are controlled by the TV cable / valve and the governor in the transmission tailshaft. Did the Transgo shift kit include anything relating to the governor?

I guess it might or might not have included a governor then. You have to remove the tailshaft to mess with that. In the meantime, I would check the TV cable. Mark the plastic block's position now, then remove the clip and see where the point of no tension is. It should be pulled somewhat tauter than that (opinions vary as to how much). You can experiment with it until it is to your liking, but it's important that there is some tension on it. Also check that the bushing in the shift lever is still there. :)

If you're not sure what you're doing after reading up on it, it might be a good idea to take it to a transmission shop and ask them to do it. I wouldn't think it would cost anymore than $50. An incorrect adjustment to the TV cable can greatly shorten the life of your transmission...I wouldn't be driving it too much as it is, since it sounds like it is probably too loose. (too tight would make the transmission stay in a particular gear longer before shifting - might even have to let off the throttle to shift at all)

Make sure the cable's bushing is not worn out (at the throttle body) too.

You want to pull the cable toward you....

This makes the cable between the trans and TB linkage shorter and tighter...

Just remember, go in small increments....;) :p

If you changed inlet plenums and throttle bodies from stock you should readjust because they can throw it off. Block the tires, put the car in neutral not running, pop out the TV cable, pop out the white clip from the block, and reinstall TV cable while holding the throttle body closed. Check that the throttle body is moving freely and will go to WOT. Take it for a test drive and check, if you want to tighten it push on the white clip again and slide the block back towards the firewall one to two notches at time.

If you really want to have some fun with the AOD pull that trans go moded VB out and install a Lentech or Siver Fox valvebody and different converter, it will really make the car much better.

Back