Found an 02 4r70W will it work?

Greg Coleman

I found an 02 4r70w tranny at a wrecking yard that we deal with that has 42 thousand miles on it for $250. My buddy is going to rebuild it with performance clutches modify the tail shaft oil system do the J mod and have a marauder torque converter made.

It'll work if it's from a V6. I put an 02 V6 Mustang 4R70W in my 94 SC last summer. I also installed one of Alan's, [dirtydog performance] torque converters and it's one of the best things I've done to this car. The transmission was J-modded before installation and it shifts silky smooth/fast when I'm on the go peedle. You'll need to get a different flex plate though...I believe a Crown Vic flex plate.

MarkVIII flexplate is best way to guarantee it is right, the newer crown vic/town car flexplate works as well. Those are really nice because they are dual pattern they fit any converter.
Alan

I guess I'll have to find a flex plate.And yes Alan I would like to purchase a torque converter.Yes the 02 is out of a v-6 3.8

Last edited:
i put one in from an 01. it was jmodded, i reused my converter (it only had ~20k on it) and used my stock flexplate.

only issue i notice is the speedo reads about 5mph fast. i'm guessing because the trans was in a car with 327 gears.

also to note, i swapped over all the electronics, the servo in the valve body and repinned my stock harness.

start to finish it took about three days, only working for an hour or so each day.

Back