Heading out for paint, FINALLY

Ryan A Harris

Not my SC, but my dads '39 Ford Coupe left for the body/paint shop on Monday. He has been working on the car for over 30 years. In between raising 2 boys, putting us both in sports, post secondary school for both of us, a cottage a boat, anyway he never has had time to focus just on his car until the last 3-4 years. Now my dad, if you know him, he is not a very refined person, but he has finally started to work on the car by himself. Now most of the time I have to help out, or finish off the job, none the less he is working on it, finally!! The car has all the original steel panels, he bought the car in 1975!! 2 years before I was born. It was driven for the 1st time in his ownership 4 years ago, boy was he happy with it. Now I can't you many other times in my life that was as justifing as the 1st time I drove the car was. With all the pushing on and off trailers, in to & out of shops I was loving the letting the horse power do work!!! the car has 9" inch rear end, disc brakes, a lo-po 302, automatic, dual exhaust, coil overs up front(but still needs some work on the suspension).

Anyway, here some pics before the final body work & paint. The colour will be pretty close to what it is now, but a little more dark with more fleck in it.

Last edited:
Ryan

I had a friend do up a 40's Willy back in the early 70's. Similar body style.

I still think it was one of the fastest looking cars whether under the throttle or just cruising down Dundas in Etobicoke in front of the Plantation Bowl.

Your Dad should be both proud beyond belief for ownership and excited to the point of dampness for the coming paint job.

Its stunning as is. Hope its a little on the loud side. It deserves the recognition.

Paul

Planned for the wheels.....you see his plans, those are HIS wheels of choice, he likes them alot, so they will stay for a long time.

A Willy's is very easy to tell apart from the Ford's. Ford has a side window, the Willy's doesn't. He gets asked that all the time if it is a Willy's. Exicted to the piont of dampness maybe a little over the edge, but I do get your idea.;) Becuase I grew up woth this car in the garage, I think the fat fender cars are the best for rod hods, IMO the best! I sure hope he doesn't sell the car before he leaves this earth, both my brother & I want to keep the car going after he is gone. A long ways off from that I hope.

Back