PDA

View Full Version : different fuel tank harness??

TinManSC92
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
got a fuel tank harness from a 89 XR7 for my 92 but, I don't think they work on sc's. I installed a 255lph pump and noticed My connector was pretty much melted to nothing from long term fuel vapours and probably even gasoline spillage. So I swaped it out with that XR7.
I did see that the neg. ( black ) and ~~~. ( red ) wires had a jumper wire connecting the two together. so I cut the connector wire out so it would look like my 92 does. Anybody else run into this difference and, would this be causing a no start?

TinManSC92
09-17-2010, 09:02 PM
So I assume the XR7 and sc's are not compatible with wiring then. Or, everyone is on the boards wrapping up the last minute details for the shootout. :eek:
Seems i'm in that last minute scramble as well.

Regul8r
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
So I assume the XR7 and sc's are not compatible with wiring then. Or, everyone is on the boards wrapping up the last minute details for the shootout. :eek:
Seems i'm in that last minute scramble as well.

I just did my tank swap and 255 pump.
The 90 car harness plugged right in to the 94 tank.
There is the "jumper" wire as you refered to it on the 90 and it works just fine on the 94 tank.

TinManSC92
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
OH NO! You mean I shouldn't have taken that jumper wire off!!!

Regul8r
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure what it does but I didn't and not sure why it was not there on your 92 unless it was rotted off.

I also had to take the tank back down and ensure the harness was fully connected as I had a no start too after the swap.
Found the harness was not fully plugged in! ~~~~!

TinManSC92
09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
No. There was just the 4 wires that went into the connector. That's why I thought I should take it out. But, now that you mention that, I'm going to put it back in. Right after I drop the exhaust, drop the tank..... blah, blah... you get the hassle free saturday coming up. :(

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
O.K. I'm sitting here with the gas tank hanging down still in the car. turn the key on and still no sounds.
What I've checked; Inertia switch
power going to harness
I even took the pump back out to see if I missed
anything unusual... nothing.
What else could be wrong??

Regul8r
09-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I checked my wiring when I had a no start.
I had power at the connector.
12 volt burst for a second when you first turn the key on.
So I knew I had an issue with the pump... NOPE, just not a good connection.
Cleaned it up, and ensured I had a good connection. Then it fired right up.

Good luck.

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Well o.k. then! I'll get right on that. THANKS!

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Nope! Still nothing. Took the pump back out and jumped it off the battery just to make sure it works and it does. Replaced relay in the trunk with one I took out of my other 92. Still nothing. What in the world else could there be to change. harness works, fuse is good. Don't know??? It works at the battery but not in the tank:confused: What could be preventing it to work 8' feet away. Any ideas would be great at this point. thanks

Regul8r
09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Nope! Still nothing. Took the pump back out and jumped it off the battery just to make sure it works and it does. Replaced relay in the trunk with one I took out of my other 92. Still nothing. What in the world else could there be to change. harness works, fuse is good. Don't know??? It works at the battery but not in the tank:confused: What could be preventing it to work 8' feet away. Any ideas would be great at this point. thanks

No voltage at the tank wiring harness or the wiring harness connector just before the tank?

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I just used a tester light at the tank harness and it gets power. I would imagine that would be the fuel gauge that lights up. Just not fast enough to run around to see the power terminal light.

Regul8r
09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I just used a tester light at the tank harness and it gets power. I would imagine that would be the fuel gauge that lights up. Just not fast enough to run around to see the power terminal light.

AH, ok.

4 wires on the tank

1. Fuel gage volt feed
2. Fuel gage feed
3. Pump voltage Feed
4. Ground

plug a wire into the pump voltage feed wire, use a test light hang it under the car, hanging out the door looking under the car... turn on the key and see if the light comes on for a second when the key is first turned on.

MIGHT need to use some sort of mirror to see the light under the car when you turn the key.

Make life easier, I had the wife turn the key on and off a few times while I was under the car checking voltage.
Mine was... the harness connector was not plugged all the way in or not making a good connection.

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Going to try that now. Not now, but, right now! Had to find something for the Wife to do anyways. :eek:

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, still only one terminal lights up with the key on. Which, again, is probably the gauge itself. I'm thinking I should have the light come on at every terminal with the key on. Does that sound right? And, if that is correct then why do you suppose the other three are not?

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, not the ground. I should expect two of them then.

Regul8r
09-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, still only one terminal lights up with the key on. Which, again, is probably the gauge itself. I'm thinking I should have the light come on at every terminal with the key on. Does that sound right? And, if that is correct then why do you suppose the other three are not?

If you have the harness disconnected then only 2 wires will come on.

1. The volt feed for the fuel gage, Steady and lower voltage.
2. The volt feed for the pump, Chilton's shows it is a pink wire and looks like you NEED that "jumper" wire you cut.

The pink wire comes from the fuel pump relay fed from the 30A Fuel Pump fuse.

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I put that one back on this morning right after you informed me about that swap you did in the 94. It's now back to the way it was from the 89 XR7. BUT, I still only get that one terminal lighting.

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 04:45 PM
that pink wire must be cut or melted somewhere... I'm thinking

Regul8r
09-18-2010, 04:56 PM
that pink wire must be cut or melted somewhere... I'm thinking

Check and see if it gets power at the Fuel pump relay.
IF the pink wire is being fed voltage at the relay but not at the harness when you turn on the key then YUP you have a cut/break somewhere.

Check it right around the harness area under the car and make sure you didn't pull the wire out of the connector, the wire did not get stretch ripped when dropping the tank, or rubbed through/pinched around the tank area.

Just be VERY thorough when you look at all the wires and connectors, it doesn't take much to make something NOT connect.

You are now on your own, good luck in the hunt!
Off to the race track for a night on the dirt. (next year it will be me driving not just watching from the stands!)

TinManSC92
09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
great help! Thanks a lot. I'll check that carefully.

Regul8r
09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
update??
Get it figured out?
Running?

TinManSC92
09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Nope! I haven't the foggiest of ideas either. I think i'm going to get it towed to the garage down the road.
I looked again for cut wires or something out of the ordinary but, nothing :confused: I just threw it all back together again, for the second time now, and will wait until tomorrow. Just didn't know what else to throw at it for suggestions. But, thanks so much for all your ideas. I'll fill you in later.

fturner
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
By any chance did you check the impact switch in the trunk if its ok?

Fraser

TinManSC92
09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey, Fraser. Yah! I did check that. And, it was up. Probably from jacking the car up I would think. But, that isn't the problem.
When I do get this thing running tomorrow, I'm still going over to your house sometime this week. Or, the same Timmies again. Sound good?

Regul8r
09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow that bites!

good luck at the shop.

TinManSC92
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, thanks Brother. What really bites is the fact that I always go to this guy with what I think is a big problem and it turns out to be something small and stupid. He takes about 10 minutes to annalize and fix the problem why I stand back looking retarded.....AGAIN! :o

TinManSC92
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
A quick follow up. Problem solved. The connector wire that goes on the pink and black wire ( what I refer to as a jumper wire) right at the connector plug itself must come off for the 92's. kept blowing relays with it on there. The 92 model years must have a different way of wiring in some other sort of resistor to reduce the pump noise through the stereo. Just don't know. Thought this might be beneficial for anyone else having to swap out a fuel harness from a different year car.

fturner
09-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Yeah give a holler... I can't Wed or Thurs... If your free Saturday, I'm heading to the track if the weather is nice and its test-n-tune to set a new time with the car.

Time to see if I can make the claim of being the fastest m90 powered SC in Ontario :), or maybe even Canada :D.

Fraser

TinManSC92
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, that figures. It's my Wifes weekend off. Which will probably mean YET, another trip to the U.S.to spend all the money I don't have! :eek: How does Friday look?