Window question!!!

Does anyone know what the problem is when you can hit your button to raise or lower your window, and it "skips" up or down and them stops! It will just move a little at a time. I still hear the motor, but it's like something is missing some teeth or something. I have to push on it so that it will finish moving up, or down! Does it need a new motor, is something stripped, or is it just off track???
91 SC Auto
dirtybird91:(

Window Motor!

You will have to replace your window motor! You can use any regular or SC T-bird window motor from '89 to '95, not really sure on the '96's or '97's if they are the same, should be though.

Mine did the same to me on my driver's side and I was told the motor needed to be replaced and so I did and it worked fine ever since.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Or you can try to rebuild the motor all that it is most likely is that the plastic dowels have sheered off. The best way to repair it is to take the motor out of the door and then you have one more screw to take out and a clip above the gear. Once you have done this you can clean all the old broken plastic out of the gears. You can replace the broken parts with just about anything that will fit I have had really good luck with brass plugs that you can get from most auto parts stores or home repair places. Hope this helps. It is a lot cheaper than replaceing the motor if you don't need to.

i had the problem where the windows wouldn't go up or down. when i tore into the drive mechanism, the plastic 'safety' pieces had crumbled and was binding the gears. i cleaned out the plastic garbage, greased the gears and dropped in a nut in place of the plastic piece. haven't had a problem since... they are safety pieces in that that are suppose to break if something was to get caught in the window while is was going up. its really a simple project too...

wayne...

re:window motor

All correct. Don't be fooled by a visual inspection. The drive gear will look good but it's inside that's gone bad.

Back