93 SC vacuum proublem

TimHagewood

Hello everyone I am new to the forums and was wondering an one has any info on a vacuum digram for a 93 Thunderbird SC. I am having multiple problems while accelerating the A/C quits blowing and also will not idle. When I received the car the SC was in the back seat and was shot. I replaced it but do not know if I have all the vacuum lines hooked up in the original locations. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

No idea what year, sorry.

Does your car have EGR?

Can you post a photo of what you have now?

I did run across that digram it said it was for a 89. I am not for sure if they are the same. I think I do have a egr valve but dont have any pic wright now. I ran across another digram for the 89 and was woundering if it is the same as the 1993 supercoupe with 3.8?

Here is the digram for the 89 maybe it will help?scassembly1.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some photos later.

Last edited:
No replies yet. Does that mean that know body has any info? I found my Chilton's Book but not a lot of info on vacuum hoses. Where can I find a vacuum digram for a 1993 Ford Thunderbird SC? :(

Small line

Follow the small line, does it go into the pass. side fender by the firewall? If so then there was a partial metal line that had peice of rubber hose connecting to it that went on the back of the inlet plenum.

The bigger hose im still working on that.

Tom

I think this is the order your looking for.

Pic 1 showed the Blower Diaphram. Hard line with a hook. Appears correct.

Next will be Air Intake sensor. Covered in pics presuming its plugged in.

Next, originating on drivers side is a straight shot hard line to manifold plenum.

Next originating on drivers side is a soft line going to a T on the manifold plenum.

1)Off that T is a soft line to the Cold air plenum. (Usually only 6" long) You should have 3 connects on the cold side (based on a 90 with EGR)

Hard line with hook to EGR Cap. (from pass side- not plenum)

2)Soft line from EGR to Cold air plenum. (from below)

3)Pic 4 appears to have a missing connection.. From the PVC at the back of the Rocker it is connected to a small line originating from the pass side to a junction to a larger soft line to a hard line larger diameter that goes behind the EGR and plugs into the last nipple of the cold air plenum. (being 3 in total)

This hard line replicates the one from the drivers side rocker, underneath the
blower to the Cold Air Intake pipe. (but much shorter)

Cowl covers are on so I presume your not running vacuum threw the windshield washer spray.

I confuse myself sometimes, but I hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks a lot for the all the information. I am going to try and sort everything out hopefully this weekend. It just seams to be a lot of hoses that are missing or I cant find where they go. I am hoping to get all the vacuum hoses back in the original locations. I wish that it would have been myself that took it all apart. I could have marked all the hoses.
Any more info will really help. I really like this car it just need a little TLC and a lot of work. :D

I also have another question I would like to get a Factory Repair Manual is there any place you guys would recommend to get one?

I was told the have a lot more info in them than the Chilton's or Haynes manuals is that true?

THANKS AGAIN

Last edited:
Post in the Want to Buy and you may have some luck.

There is a Elecrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual that can also prove invaluable.

Another check would be EBay under manuals. They make regular appearances there.

Good Luck
Paul

I also have another question I would like to get a Factory Repair Manual is there any place you guys would recommend to get one?

I was told the have a lot more info in them than the Chilton's or Haynes manuals is that true?

-=-

True - Haynes/Chiltons (AllData uses their content) have some SC specific data, but tend to be a bit too generic overall.

I looked at books4cars.com recently and they listed both the big (12196_90) shop manual ($65) and the EVTM [not much on vacuum even here] ($33) for 1990 as examples.

http://books4cars.com/listings.php?findmake=Ford&model=Thunderbird&year=1990&type=Shop

If you rely on manuals, it doesn't hurt to have various versions around, of course :)

I have a 93 EVTM (Electronics/Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) at home. I don't think the vacuum diagrams are very detailed, but I've never had to use them. I'll see if I can find anything useful to you when I get home today.

I think both those lines disappear into the fenderwell...vacuum canister connections or something. If they're the two lines I'm thinking of, the should be common to at leat 89-93 cars with or without EGR.

This link will take you to some pictures I took on my 93sc. My car is slightly modified, but all the same vac lines are in use. I do not have EGR on my car.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike8675309/93scvac?feat=directlink

On the plenum that bolts to the back of the blower and attaches to the throttle body, there should be one vac line that goes to the white vac branch just under the cowel. It is a big line and is the main vacuum supply for the car as it never sees positive pressure.
Another line comes off the plenum and feeds the PCV valve on the passenger valve cover.
I think there is also one line on the front side that feeds the bypass valve.

The plenum bolted to the intake manifold and intercooler pipes has 3 vac fittings on it.

One on the top that I believe on a stock car connects the cross talk tube. The other connects to a line that runs over to the drivers side vac branch and has a one way valve installed in it. This is also a large hose, and I believe it may have something to do with feeding power steering and cruise control.

The other two are around back. One I believe is to feed the boost gauge in the dash, the other connects to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

That long hard line in your picture runs all the way over to the drivers side and attaches to the vacuum manifold there. I believe it may be for the HVAC controls.

Thanks a lot for all the new info. Any diagrams will definitely be helpful. This weekend I will take a look at the beast hopefully all the info will make more sense when I'm looking at everything. Thank a lot:D:D:D

I got the same issue exactly the same but my car turned on and i didnt now how to lower the rpm it was going all the way over 2500 and i cant get it down . but now i didnt turn on it. i just change the gas regulator and im trying tomorrow ill upload some pics so you can help me out ! thanks a loot

well at this point i dont know if its an fuel system issue or an vacumm leak i just came back from break fast. im on my way to buy a little lines for the vacumm thing and ill try to get it started in a few hrs. can some one help me out via whatsapp. ill send videos ! i bring this case back to life cus im having big time troubleing trying to get it started

I'm just trying to make sure I undertstand your current issue. I thought in your 1st post, you were having problems with uncontrolled or high idle(2500). But now you are saying it won't start? There are just so many possibilitys. Going to be very tough to diagnose or troubleshoot here.

Back