Cooling Fan No Workee

Skid Mark

My cooling fan is not coming on at all. I tested the fan motor and it was dead; it wouldn't jump with 12 volts. I replaced it with a new one and it's still not coming on. I can jump the new one with 12 volts and get the low speed fan running just fine. The 60 amp fuse tests good, although I noticed that one of the terminals in the power distribution box had seen some heat. But it's getting voltage across the fuse. When I test the low-speed connector at the cooling fan motor, with the engine running and the AC on, it reads 13.9 volts on my digital multimeter. I'm dumb when it comes to electrical things, but why won't it come on when there's voltage getting to the low-speed pin on the motor? It seems to me that the CCRM is working and attempting to activate the fan. Does that mean that the fan is not being supplied the right amount of current? Where do I go from here? Thanks, in advance for any help. I'm lost. It's a 1995 SC.

Have you inspected the connector and made sure that it is fitting properly on the fan connector? Otherwise if you get power to the fan, the only other cause could be a bad ground for the fan. I can't recall how that grounds, but that is all I can think of to check.

Note, fan power is derived from a fuseable link or megafuse (can't recall on the 95). Following along your idea, if the current capacity of the wire is low enough, a damaged fuseable link or megafuse may close when cool but open when heated by the current draw of the motor. I believe the fuseable link is close to the power distribution box, perhaps under it.

See if you can dismantle/clean the connector spades/tabs. If they have a green coating.. it needs to be cleaned off. You want it to be clean metal to clean metal.

Back