auto to 5 speed manual sc

oppie

i have a 94 sc that is an auto im thinking about swiching it over to a 5 speed but i dont know how much is involved or what all i need to do it or is it really worth it??? need help!! any one help me out or give some opinions?? thanks oppie.

for starters, you'll need a complete 5 speed and driveshaft, brake/clutch pedals, slave cylinder, clutch line, console top, the 5 speed transmission wiring harness, and a 94/5 5-speed computer.

i've never attempted it myself, but seems like a pretty straightforward swap.

you might wana drive a 5 speed car first.

i have driven three so far and two were slow shifting and the shifters are just not that good. the other one for some reason shifted very easily.

i own a 5 speed and being a transmission taken from a truck its heavy and well not that smooth. I even have a b&m shifter in mine, but others will say theres shift normally, so thats why I am saying drive one first.

the swap is straight forward and its mostly bolt in affair.

ever thought about a manual valve body in the auto or a properly built auto. I bet it would be quicker in the long run than a 5 speed.

just my two cents.

i have 7 supercoupes only 1 of which is a an auto a crappy AOD in my 91 titanium that just gave up the other day.

any who, I personally love the feel of the m5r2, firm and smooth shifts just like a performance transmission should be, the B&M makes it even that much better but the stock shifter itself is very nice at least IMO.

I personally wouldn't go from a computer controlled trans to a 5spd, the computer controlled trans pure sex. As a matter of fact I'm swapping a 4r70w in my 91 as soon as time permits.

if you do go the 5spd route, factor in a rebuild, chances are it'll need it.

Ok well I may just stick with the auto idk I've had a lot of 5 speed cars and I love them a lot of people say that th 5 speed sc are better then the autos but I like mine but id really like to have a manual sc as well

If your tranny is failing, then sometimes its cheaper just to swap out to a 5spd for some folks. Frankly though, the 4r70w in the SC's are pieces of junk just waiting to fail. If your thinking of staying with the auto and yours is acting up then upgrade to a 99+ 4r70w from a mustang 3.8. Talk to DirtyDog on these forums about the best way to go in that regards.

As for an AOD, if you get a good rebuild, and get a good TC like what DirtyDog can build and a good valvebody like SilverFox's, you've got a solid tranny that can handle way more power than these motors could ever dish out. I've got a stage 3 SPT-R VB from Silverfox in my built up AOD and the shifts are very crisp without slamming and at WOT all the shifts are completed in less than 200ms... sorry, but there is no one that can shift a 5spd that fast :).

Fraser

Bout how much do you think that will run me I got the tranny out of the car right now becauseits screwed up

The best thing to do is pick up a 98+ 3.8 mustang transmission to build. From there cost can range from $1000-$1500 or more depending on what you want.
Alan

the 4r70w is by far superior to the AOD having it shift when you want right where you want and how you want gives you all the control you can ever want

Back