PDA

View Full Version : SC newbie looking for advice/opinions

ann
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I inherited a really nice, low mileage '90 SC from my uncle. Fun car and luxurious, but now I'm questioning if it is time to let it go. I can work on my 1960's dodges, but this "new" car has me scared to work on it...everything seems complex and laborious.

Right now, it's running rough/missing and because it won't hold an idle at 1500 rpm, I can't get a smog test and so registration expired yesterday. One shop said it was the spark plug wires, which I believe, but do I really need to pull the supercharger to change them?! I tried weaseling my little hands in there and could barely even touch one plug! I drove/called around today trying to find the C-wrench tool to pull the supercharger tube, and was told twice people just pound it off with a screwdriver and hammer. I can see the valve cover leaking and there is some smoke, so I thought IF I could get the supercharger off, I could do the wires, plugs and valve cover. Am I going to wreck something by trying to do this, or does it sound reasonable?

Also, the tranny was leaking like a sieve. Couldn't see the leak, tightened stuff, kept re-filling, kept leaking, now it is slipping. Took it to another shop, who said there was no leak (it stopped?) when full of fluid. Took it to another shop who said it needs a whole new tranny because they have to pull it apart to fix the leak and because once it is slipping, there is no fix. True? Do I really also need a tranny, or is there any hope?

It is such a nice car, and is sentimental also, but I am feeling like maybe it is stupid to try to pull it together, because after all that, it still might need a tranny which costs more than the bluebook. Thanks for any thoughts/advice/opinions to help me make up my mind. Ann

TinManSC92
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
how many miles are on the car?

ann
09-23-2010, 10:26 PM
hello, 73K (did you know there is a 10 character minimum to posts?)

Kurt K
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
You definitely do not have to pull the SC to change the plugs. You can get to the passenger side from the top by removing the intake tube from the filter to the throttlebody. The driver's side plugs should be rather easy from under the car. The first time I needed plugs, I let the dealer change them since my car was already there getting the brakes fixed under warranty. Anyway, it's not as bad as it looks after you do it a few times.

TinManSC92
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
You did a good job of filling it. And, yes.

73 000 is low. Hardly broke in. :D I wouldn't think you would need a rebuilt transmission at this point, but, if you wait, and not too long, there are guys here very familiar with the automatics and vaccuum leak detection methods. I am not. I don't know how well you know these types of cars or, even if you're using the right gas that wil prevent that rough running. I wouldn't doubt the new plugs though.

ann
09-23-2010, 10:51 PM
I find using 89 octane eliminates any ping. Only started missing/running rough recently. i have worked on only the simple simon slant six dodges for the last 15-20 years..there is room to sit inside the engine compartment while i work on it! This SC looks like it is all tubes and I don't feel real confident working on it...but I can try. My manual says only a special supercharger expert should pull it apart, and I'm practically ignorant, so I thought I'd get some opinions!

I've read more since I posted and seems most people don't have that spanner wrench tool. And now, I read I can get to the driver side from the bottom. I did crawl under there and couldn't see any obvious pathway. This is why I'm asking you SC experts...you tell me I can probably do it, and I'll try!

The last shop I took it to today quoted me 2 additional hours to change the valve cover gaskets, on top of the 1.4 hrs to pull the SC to do the plugs/wires (he said the SC tubes had to be pulled). I can't afford that, and I do have spare time on my hands right now. Especially since it might need a tranny after all.

Thanks, Ann

David Neibert
09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I find using 89 octane eliminates any ping. Only started missing/running rough recently. i have worked on only the simple simon slant six dodges for the last 15-20 years..there is room to sit inside the engine compartment while i work on it! This SC looks like it is all tubes and I don't feel real confident working on it...but I can try. My manual says only a special supercharger expert should pull it apart, and I'm practically ignorant, so I thought I'd get some opinions!

I've read more since I posted and seems most people don't have that spanner wrench tool. And now, I read I can get to the driver side from the bottom. I did crawl under there and couldn't see any obvious pathway. This is why I'm asking you SC experts...you tell me I can probably do it, and I'll try!

The last shop I took it to today quoted me 2 additional hours to change the valve cover gaskets, on top of the 1.4 hrs to pull the SC to do the plugs/wires (he said the SC tubes had to be pulled). I can't afford that, and I do have spare time on my hands right now. Especially since it might need a tranny after all.

Thanks, Ann

You don't need to take the upper IC tube off to change the plugs. If you want to take the upper tube off, it's easier to just unbolt the supercharger top by removing the 4 bolts (outlet that says 3.8) from the supercharger and leave it attached to the IC tube. There is also a bolting tab near the alternator.

David

ann
09-24-2010, 03:08 AM
thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

rapper33142
09-24-2010, 03:15 AM
good luck .............

Kurt K
09-24-2010, 08:08 AM
I find using 89 octane eliminates any ping. Only started missing/running rough recently.

Running that low of octane may be part of the problem. The car requires premium. Some people do run lower octane without issue, but I'd run the higher octane at least until the other problems are worked out.

If the valve cover gaskets are leaking, you may just be able to tighten the bolts without replacing the gaskets to fix the problem. My SC had leaky valve cover gaskets early in its life and I was able to fix it by tightening the bolts that had loosened over time.

Like David mention, you can remove the upper tube if you like, but you will not be able to remove the lower tube without taking even more stuff off the car. Regardless, I stand by the statement that the tubes do not need to be removed to change the plugs.

Good Luck.

Regul8r
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't let all the tubing scare you!
Plugs are not a hard thing to do, just take a little time.

First time I did mine, the drvr side were real hard to turn so I got them out 1/8 of a turn at a time from underneath.

Ask your questions read the answers and follow the info the guys here give you and it will all work out.

YES go with the premium fuel!

btw... WELCOME TO THE BOARD!