PDA

View Full Version : Shootout race setup help

Mercutio
09-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Since drag racing is typically a once a year activity for me, I'm looking for some advice on drag racing at the shootout. I typically drag race once a year--last time was last year at the Shootout (in the CTS-V), and the last time before that was at the 08 Shootout in the SC.

So it's been two years since I last drag raced this car, and I can use all the help I can get. My best in the car is 13.62@104.8, though DD once ran 12.94@105 in it. DD's pass is the only time the car has ever worn slicks.

The car has changed a lot since I last raced it, but I'll still be running on the same 255/45-17 street tires. Anyone have advice on air pressure, shock settings (I have adjustable Konis) and launch technique? The car is a 5-speed.

The car is more than 100 pounds lighter than the last time I raced it, and I feel confident that with the Delrin rear LCA bushings I can finally get a 1.9x 60-foot time (previous best is 2.02). My goal for the Shootout is 13.2X so I can finally break out of Mod 1. Maybe that's a bit ambitious, but I'll greatly appreciate any advice that can help me get there.

Roadhawg
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Drag Radials would help out a ton.

Mercutio
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Not happening. I race once a year and my spare wheels have autocross rubber on them. I'm not buying new wheels and tires for something I do once a year.

Trunk Monkey
09-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Borrow a set.

ganuolfthegrey
09-24-2010, 10:20 PM
i would like to run a set also just for kicks one time.

but i find lowering my rears to 22psi on 245/45/17 has gotten me 2.03 60ft
and air the front's to 40psi and leave from idle.

DLF
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Not happening. I race once a year and my spare wheels have autocross rubber on them. I'm not buying new wheels and tires for something I do once a year.

Why not use the autocross tires?

I launch @ ~3500 rpm and swap feet, I don't just dump the clutch.

Rear Konis at 1 1/2 turns, fronts at full soft.

20 psi in my 275/40-17 MT DR's.

p.s. 1.7x 60's

Mike8675309
09-24-2010, 10:48 PM
When I ran a freak 2.02 60 ft on street tires and a non-functional trac lock with a total weight of 4050lbs my rear tires were at 41psi, and my koni's were soft all the way around. (forgot to adjust the shocks, didn't want to bother with the rear tires)

Track prep will make a big difference. It comes down leaving the line with as little wheel spin as possible and rolling into the throttle as hard as possible without spinning the tires. With a manual transmission you have to find the right balance of hard launch, no wheel spin, and not bogging the engine.

1MTNCAT
09-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Since drag racing is typically a once a year activity for me, I'm looking for some advice on drag racing at the shootout. I typically drag race once a year--last time was last year at the Shootout (in the CTS-V), and the last time before that was at the 08 Shootout in the SC.

So it's been two years since I last drag raced this car, and I can use all the help I can get. My best in the car is 13.62@104.8, though DD once ran 12.94@105 in it. DD's pass is the only time the car has ever worn slicks.

The car has changed a lot since I last raced it, but I'll still be running on the same 255/45-17 street tires. Anyone have advice on air pressure, shock settings (I have adjustable Konis) and launch technique? The car is a 5-speed.

The car is more than 100 pounds lighter than the last time I raced it, and I feel confident that with the Delrin rear LCA bushings I can finally get a 1.9x 60-foot time (previous best is 2.02). My goal for the Shootout is 13.2X so I can finally break out of Mod 1. Maybe that's a bit ambitious, but I'll greatly appreciate any advice that can help me get there.

Talk to me!!!! If you need to borrow my slicks off the 1MTNCAT I'll have them along. Let me know before Wednesday!!!! I'm assuming you have a standard bolt pattern and 15's will work??

If not then I can't help this time.

Mercutio
09-25-2010, 07:44 AM
I appreciate the offer, Steve, but I've got 5x4.5 wheels and Cobra rotors in back, so it just won't work.

Why not use the autocross tires?

Although AX tires are made from an incredibly sticky compound, the sidewalls are extremely stiff. I think that point would cancel out their stickiness.

ganuolfthegrey
09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
:D:Di will borrw if ya don't care. i have the stock bolt pattern

XR7 Dave
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Man, wish I could help with that. I even have a set of slicks on wheels with 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern but they are 15" so I don't think they'll clear the brakes.

It's going to be real hard to drive the car on the track because you'll find those tires super slippery. Maybe if you lower pressure to about 20psi and hope that the delrin bushings keep wheel hop at bay. If you are able to leave at about 1500rpm and slip the clutch a little while hazing off the tires that will probably be best. You won't be able to go full throttle until at least 1/2 way through second, maybe not until 3rd.

shoalcracker
09-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Damn Jason

Sounds like youv'e got a lot more than I'm bringing to the table.

If it was hockey I could hold onto the jersey as you left the zone.

As it is I think I'm in for a world of embarrassment.

Paul