Should I go for a new Radiator Express radiator or refurb my original?

phils89sc

I need some advice. I have just about finished my head gasket job on my 89SC auto. My radiator is original, and you can see the crud and buildup when you look inside under the cap. I know I can get a Radiator Express radiator for $135 online. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that these are two row radiators. Being an 89SC, my original is a 3 row, all brass type. I called a few radiator shops where I live and i found one that said they would refurb it for me for about $140. When I say refurb, they said they would take the lower tank off, boil it out, rod out the core, put it back together and pressure test it and fix any leaks.

I don't know which way to go. I am leaning towards getting my original fixed. What are some other opinions out there?

Thanks in advance

Phil

i would go with what i know work good the stock one but thats just me ..... well im jr and i am having a meet in augusta ga maybe u would like to come i dont have a date yet but it will be late oct early nov have a good one and good luck

I need some advice. I have just about finished my head gasket job on my 89SC auto. My radiator is original, and you can see the crud and buildup when you look inside under the cap. I know I can get a Radiator Express radiator for $135 online. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that these are two row radiators. Being an 89SC, my original is a 3 row, all brass type. I called a few radiator shops where I live and i found one that said they would refurb it for me for about $140. When I say refurb, they said they would take the lower tank off, boil it out, rod out the core, put it back together and pressure test it and fix any leaks.

I don't know which way to go. I am leaning towards getting my original fixed. What are some other opinions out there?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Phil,

I would reuse the existing one and save up for a Griffin aluminum radiator. I had my stock brass radiator recored with a thicker core many years ago and it didn't perform any better than the stock unit. Get the Griffin, you won't regret it.

David

Phil,

I would reuse the existing one and save up for a Griffin aluminum radiator. I had my stock brass radiator recored with a thicker core many years ago and it didn't perform any better than the stock unit. Get the Griffin, you won't regret it.

David

My radiator never really gave me any cooling issues prior to my head gasket issues, but it could really stand for a good thorough cleaning. I just am not very sure about going from brass to aluminum, and on top of that, downgrading from a three row to a two row in a car that needs as much cooling as it can get, you know? Later on, I will think about a Griffin. Thanks for the advice.

Back