NEED some diagnostic HELP !!!?

anlo

:confused:
the little lady's daily driver 90 auto just flat out quit today went to check it out and; getting no fire to the coil pack took off a wire and held it with no jolt just turns over. she said did fine all day no symptoms or noises just cut off...

what im scared of : recently replaced H/B aftermarket been great for last 2500 miles or so..

my first thought is timing chain because i think you should get fire even if balancer crapped out again?? saw a slight wobble while turning over that was not there after repair ugh.

next maybe DIS but again wouldnt i still get spark of some sort??

after a 75$ tow home too dark to investigate now but any ideas or suggestions on what to look for first would be greatly appreciated.

how would you guys begin to diagnose issue (tips tricks to narrow down possibilities which are endless i know)?

upshift and check engine light show up while turning over for what thats worth.
i will be able to get out in the am to check things out i would think timing chain would have given some signs leading up to this. ive heard the similar stories of replacement balancers not holding up but would it have just cut off like turning key off? or tried to limp or something? ill take any suggestions to get her back on the road..... thanks
todd :confused:

:confused:
the little lady's daily driver 90 auto just flat out quit today went to check it out and; getting no fire to the coil pack took off a wire and held it with no jolt just turns over. she said did fine all day no symptoms or noises just cut off...

what im scared of : recently replaced H/B aftermarket been great for last 2500 miles or so..

my first thought is timing chain because i think you should get fire even if balancer crapped out again?? saw a slight wobble while turning over that was not there after repair ugh.

next maybe DIS but again wouldnt i still get spark of some sort??

after a 75$ tow home too dark to investigate now but any ideas or suggestions on what to look for first would be greatly appreciated.

how would you guys begin to diagnose issue (tips tricks to narrow down possibilities which are endless i know)?

upshift and check engine light show up while turning over for what thats worth.
i will be able to get out in the am to check things out i would think timing chain would have given some signs leading up to this. ive heard the similar stories of replacement balancers not holding up but would it have just cut off like turning key off? or tried to limp or something? ill take any suggestions to get her back on the road..... thanks
todd :confused:

Not likely the timing chain. But to check and see, the easiest way is to remove the Cam sensor(2 5.5mm screws) and check and see if the synchronizer is spinning when the vehicle is cranked over. If the chain is busted it is not capable of spinning since the synchro is cam driven. Sounds like a DIS module, Crank sensor, or HB problem....

I vote for HB had this happen to me twice, just going down the road and it just shut off. Check the center bolt they break real easy.

found it

and the winner is decolores balancer bolt head broke off balancer seems to be intact was a brand new bolt from ford too while vanes are still passing through crank sensor somewhat balancer has definately walked out i assume there can be no room for play in this area so its the reason for no crank??

now to find the best post about getting crankshaft bolt out not going to be fun but has happened too plenty of us and i know can be done..

heading to advance for a hb puller are there any new technology items for removing broke off bolts? reverse drill,easy out etc.?/

and the winner is decolores balancer bolt head broke off balancer seems to be intact was a brand new bolt from ford too while vanes are still passing through crank sensor somewhat balancer has definately walked out i assume there can be no room for play in this area so its the reason for no crank??

now to find the best post about getting crankshaft bolt out not going to be fun but has happened too plenty of us and i know can be done..

heading to advance for a hb puller are there any new technology items for removing broke off bolts? reverse drill,easy out etc.?/

Is this a stock replacment balancer, rebuilt or a BHJ unit ? Are you certian it's an SC balancer with no counter weights ?

David

stock replacement

its a stock replacement definateley for the sc the replacement job went perfect i know its not a bhj but cant afford one of those... just the replacement 10.9 mustang bolt failed head and washer missing clean break ive never dealt with easy out process before so its learning time just wanted to make sure i know all the tips and tricks as not to harm crank shaft which would be a job over my head.. should be performing operation in a few hours. i borrowed a nice snap on extractor set wondering if i should use the fine splined easy out rather than the standard spiral bits? also what size reverse drill bit should i start with? thinking 5/32....

harmonic balancer split #2

well its official aftermarket new h/b did the same thing after about 3k miles
which should prove you must go to bhj for replacement. you all said it would happen again right on cue.. if this doesnt convince you then i dont know

except this time i lost the bolt head as well which will add a new twist to the repair as you see sleeve still there its time to break out the sheetrock screws man what a bummer. there is a little dimple in the bolt for the easy out process but im sure how its going to go. i did use blue thread locker so im sure it wont be "easy out" this was mostly normal driving no racing or dogging so its just a fact of life an "oe" replacement cant cut it.

heres some photos of the damage

Attachments

• hb 2 001.jpg
    hb 2 001.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 66
  • hb 2 004.jpg
    hb 2 004.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 63
Back