Cam sensor gear

XxSlowpokexX

OK...Ive pretty muched ruled out my electronics and all sensors on my car as being an issue. The only thing I have yet to have a whirl at is my ICRM.......Now shifting my thoughts towards a mechanical issue. I SERIOUSLY THINK MY FREAKIN CAM SENSOR GEAR MAY BE THE ISSUE! I unplug sensor and it runs better (albeit not right). Ive known this all along. Now after testing just about every sensor, ignition componant etc..Its still the same and a bit worse then when it first started happening. The minute I get a chance Im checking this out.

Has anyone else had an issue such as this where there cam sensor gear spun on the shaft?

OK...Ive pretty muched ruled out my electronics and all sensors on my car as being an issue. The only thing I have yet to have a whirl at is my ICRM.......Now shifting my thoughts towards a mechanical issue. I SERIOUSLY THINK MY FREAKIN CAM SENSOR GEAR MAY BE THE ISSUE! I unplug sensor and it runs better (albeit not right). Ive known this all along. Now after testing just about every sensor, ignition componant etc..Its still the same and a bit worse then when it first started happening. The minute I get a chance Im checking this out.

Has anyone else had an issue such as this where there cam sensor gear spun on the shaft?

If the gear spins you will have no oil pressure. I've seen chewed up gears though. With the cam sensor unplugged, there is no further connection though so that would theoretically fix that problem (other than the oil pressure thing).

I definitely have oil pressure but if the pin sheered and the gear moved on the shaft theoretically theoretically Id be screwed and still get oil pressure.

The problem happened all of sudden however its gotten worse. Perhaps it moved a bit then moved somemore. When I unplug cam sensor it runs a bunch better however not right..just a thought. I'll be checking it out as soon as I can

if the pin sheared the gear might turn but if I rember correctly isnt the bottom of the shaft a "D" shape also. maybee I am wrong, but i believe the pin holds the gear from going up and down but the "D" gives the gear the strength to turn.

but like I said i am just going off of memory.

on this engine if the gear turns or starts to spin freely, you will not have oil pressure, the gear will just mesh with the cam gear and spin not turning the oil pump.

pull the cam sensor out and inspect. it may be possible that its wobbling around all over the place and just like an old distributer is causing some funky readings..

seems many 3.8 94-95 stangs have had sim issues and its been worn gear issues while still having oil pressure..one more thing to check

if the pin sheared the gear might turn but if I rember correctly isnt the bottom of the shaft a "D" shape also. maybee I am wrong, but i believe the pin holds the gear from going up and down but the "D" gives the gear the strength to turn.

The shaft is hexagonal in shape.

The shaft is hexagonal in shape.

thats right my bad. I knew it wasnt just a simple round shaft though so unless the gear is completly gone it would not spin, and if the pin sheared off the gear would probably fall off or destroy itself

Heres the info we got. This has been seen on 3.8L Stangs, Taurus and windstars, that gear or pin could wear out and cause rough idles, hard starts, hesitations, stalling, chugging under acceleration, and all kinds of driving issues. Damons cam sensor is seeking a reference at start up and under acceleration. With his cam sensor plugged in he has hard starts, the engine stalls, it runs even worse then before and he has to keep on the gas to even let it idle. If we unplug the sensor it goes to a closed loop ignition setting and the car still runs like crap, hesitates under load, but will idle without stalling. Here's our theory which was backed up by my mechanic who has seen this before. With Damons tune and added power, the closed loop timing setting isn't advanced enough to power the car under a load. If it was running 100% with it plugged in, he would experience the same problems he has now if he went and unplugged it. Damons tune is relying on the reference its getting by the cam sensor to advance the timing and give the car power under load. Now if that gear is worn or unaligned, its not going to give the right cam reference at all and throw his timing all out of whack and that's why his car run like total crap with it plugged in.
I understand that the shaft drives the oil pump gear just like a old school distributor carb engine, but I was told any free play at all in that pin or gear can be enough to cause issues. I'm sure Damons tune is on the edge of what it can do so that's probably why it seems 100 times worse then on a stock or slightly modified car with a basic tune.
We are going to take it apart Saturday. It don't take much to take a look at it or swap it out to be sure. Its one more thing to cross off the list.

We pulled it out and found it 180 degrees off. We sat there and put the engine dead on 26 degree ATDC and dropped it back it. The car started right up and drove a little better but not 100%.
I think its time for professional help ASAP!

yah there is something going on...but everything i check checks out aok...cam sensor made no difference even though it was 180 degrees off. I didnt do that but its been that way for 4 years apparently..
i HATE THIS CAR!

Back