PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Fall Club Clash Roll Call

pablon2
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
So, who all is going? I'm heading down Saturday morning. Are there any activities planned outside of the Clash as in years past?

Mike8675309
09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
I'll be down on Sunday morning with some kind of car. Not sure what yet. Could be a dodge durango, or a mazda 3 (zoom...zoom).

Sxar
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I plan on being there. Only one car though as I have been on partial layoff. :(

I need to check hotels and see what the prices are, then decide if I come down Saturday or Sunday.

pablon2
10-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I plan on being there. Only one car though as I have been on partial layoff. :(

I need to check hotels and see what the prices are, then decide if I come down Saturday or Sunday.

Todd and I will be staying Sat at the Super 8 in Dyersville (12 miles East of Earlville on US 20.)

kenewagner
10-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I would love to come but the shootout kind of left my car in need of repairs. I will be there in the spring for sure

Ken

BirdofPrey97
10-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Waiting for the clutch master cylinder to show up and hopefully that will take care of my clip breaking issue at least long enough to drive the car up there and race.

Now, to find Mike's info on bench bleeding that thing.

Anyone have an extra coil pack they can bring along? I want to do some comparisons.

Mike8675309
10-05-2010, 04:25 PM
If I can find one laying around and remember to bring it I will. I think I have one I pulled off a pick-a-part car place. Just not sure of the location right now.

275hptbirdsc
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Waiting for the clutch master cylinder to show up and hopefully that will take care of my clip breaking issue at least long enough to drive the car up there and race.

Now, to find Mike's info on bench bleeding that thing.

Anyone have an extra coil pack they can bring along? I want to do some comparisons.

Id like to come but I cant get my locking lug nut off on a flat tire! But if I somehow manage to get it off ill be there and ill make sure to bring a coil pack with me just incase Mike doesnt

Mike8675309
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Id like to come but I cant get my locking lug nut off on a flat tire! But if I somehow manage to get it off ill be there and ill make sure to bring a coil pack with me just incase Mike doesnt

find someone with a wire feed an weld a nut onto the lugnut. then turn it off.

Alternatively you can use a air chisel to crack the nut and get it off. And finally, any decent tire shop will have a special socket for their air impacts designed to cut into a locking lug nut and spin it off.

Don't let something like that keep you away.

BirdofPrey97
10-05-2010, 08:40 PM

If you make it I will take both DIS and the coil pack.

Thanks!

pablon2
10-07-2010, 12:20 PM
If you make it I will take both DIS and the coil pack.

Thanks!

I've got a spare I can bring too. Will need it back before heading home though as it is my only spare.

BirdofPrey97
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
My error reader is telling me that the coil pack is misfiring. Under WOT there isn't an issue, but around 2,000 rpm it is cutting out for about a second or two and then works just fine. Very strange. Code is saying coil pack, so wanted to swap it out and see if it continues.

Had to take tomorrow afternoon off of work to get the SC up and going for this. :D

275hptbirdsc
10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Got the lug nut off today! Is the price still $40 even if you dont plan on racing?

Mike8675309
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Got the lug nut off today! Is the price still $40 even if you dont plan on racing?

I think racers are $30 or $35. Pit Pass is $10. But I think I'd plan on racing. I'ts just bracket so you can just take it easy going down the line. We can always use more cars. I'm gonna probably run the 90 as I found that the trans only leaks if I park with the nose facing up on a 20 degree incline. I'll fill it up just enough, and take her easy off the line.

275hptbirdsc
10-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I think racers are $30 or $35. Pit Pass is $10. But I think I'd plan on racing. I'ts just bracket so you can just take it easy going down the line. We can always use more cars. I'm gonna probably run the 90 as I found that the trans only leaks if I park with the nose facing up on a 20 degree incline. I'll fill it up just enough, and take her easy off the line.

Id race but I dont see the fun in racing a bone stock car ive babied since ive had it:D

Mike8675309
10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Id race but I dont see the fun in racing a bone stock car ive babied since ive had it:D

You can still baby it. This is bracket racing, not heads up racing. with bracket racing, at its most basic, you take your car and do 2 or more trial runs down the track where you set your pace and try to establish a behavior with you the driver and the car that is repeatable.

Based on those trial runs, you guess at how fast your car will actually go during eliminations. You write that time (dial) on your car, and you line up against another person that did the same thing. The track computer than lets each car go at a different time based on the difference between your numbers. Thus allowing it to be the first car across the finish line should be the winner.

Where the challenge comes in is with driver behavior and car performance changes over time. I.e. if your light turns green, and you start moving .2 seconds later and run your dial time exactly, and your competitor starts moving .05 seconds after the light turns green and runs his dial time exactly, he will win.

So it comes down to driver reaction time and repeatable performance. I believe the last fall event a car dialing a 17 second quarter mile time (in a LX) took 2nd place and the pool money.

For some it is about pushing their car to the limit. For others it is about being a competitive driver. Some it's both. I'll be bringing my essentially stock car and babying it, not beating on it.

This is a great event to match your wits against another driver more than matching cars. And for those that want to go heads up, there is tons of time for grudge matches and all out full blast racing.

forcfed93
10-08-2010, 05:10 PM

If you can drive to CR on Saturday, I'll get it off ... It may not be usuable, but I'll get it off!!!

forcfed93
10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Nevermind, I just read that you got it removed. :o

So anyway, we are still going to be puttering around the shop on Saturday if you fell like a roadtrip!!!

275hptbirdsc
10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Nevermind, I just read that you got it removed. :o

So anyway, we are still going to be puttering around the shop on Saturday if you fell like a roadtrip!!!

What shop is it? Maybe ill stop by:cool:

pablon2
10-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Is someone going to bring a 1/2" torque wrench to the clash? I would bring my Napa one, but don't want it walking away since I won't have a way to lock it up and it sure as heck wouldn't be going down the track in my car.

I expect to be in Dyersville by 4pm Sat.

Mike8675309
10-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Is someone going to bring a 1/2" torque wrench to the clash?

I can bring one on Sunday, not sure how accurate it is.

forcfed93
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
What shop is it? Maybe ill stop by:cool:
My shop at home. (Wilson Ave SW)

forcfed93
10-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Is someone going to bring a 1/2" torque wrench to the clash? I would bring my Napa one, but don't want it walking away since I won't have a way to lock it up and it sure as heck wouldn't be going down the track in my car.

I expect to be in Dyersville by 4pm Sat.Al and I will have one too...

BirdofPrey97
10-09-2010, 08:42 PM
All that work on the clutch master cylinder and the pedal clip broke as I was pulling into the motel today. Small hose clamp fixed the issue. Cheaper than a $7 clip.:D

BirdofPrey97
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Everyone make it home alright? Back was killing me this morning. Thinking it was from lifting a certain 93 SC.:p

kenewagner
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
So what were the results? how did we do against the pontiacs? So looking forward to racing in the spring to see what the car will do then. Right now I have fried clutches in the rear end.

Ken

BirdofPrey97
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Well the winner I will let him/her speak up.

Myself, I had the worst times I have ever posted both for the 1/4 and R/T, but had THE most fun ever at the track. There wasn't a single GTP that ran, but a couple Regals and a Trans Am that was in the 11's.

You can ask Paul about his ticking noise. ;)

I need to put in a new clutch and trans. 2nd syncro was bad, but now 2nd and 3rd are both gone.

Weather kept getting warmer, so cars were getting a touch slower and the track prep wasn't all that great, but got better as the day went on and enough rubber was put down.

Hot dogs were only $1 you just had to wait for them to cook em. :D

Mike8675309
10-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Only 3 Pontiacs showed up, none of which were GTPs. Only one made it to the 2nd round (which I lost to).

We had 9 T-birds but only 7 made it to the finals with Dan (2nd place winner last fall) dropping out with a LX that was popping out of gear, and Matt from Wisconsin dropping after slight ticking noise developed down deep in his 94/95 SC's motor.

We had 3 cars that had their first time at the vent, a beautiful black XR7 (the guy just bought it this summer, AOD) and an SC that came down on a trailer with his whole crew and Todd with his 5 speed.

Fasted T-bird there was Paul coming down from Princeton, MN with his very fine SC running in the mid to high 12's. Mike Albee took the top spot in the bracket race nailing his dial with his competitor inexplicably hooking for the first time of the day causing a .04 break out.

The weather was great. Would have been nice to see more cars.

Matt tried to baby his noisy motor home and lost the motor about 2 miles east of the track. His day turned in to a very..very long day as he had a friend drive down from Wisconsin with a trailer to pick him and his car up. A 4 hour wait, and then a 4 hour drive back. ouch.

Looks like next spring is looking to be a big event. Hopefully we'll hear some more by January. Rumor is that it may turn into a Invitational event across more car brands with a solid prize pool.

pablon2
10-12-2010, 07:41 AM
You can ask Paul about his ticking noise. ;)

Yeah, for some reason, the crank didn't like me repositioning the dipstick tube to clear the snow nozzle on the IC tubing. I was surprised it grabbed it and turned it into a fish hook after having run/raced it that way with no issues for about 9,000 miles! Good thing you had the 'dike' and the braun to shorten the stick. :) No more noise after that.

kenewagner
10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Only 3 Pontiacs showed up, none of which were GTPs. Only one made it to the 2nd round (which I lost to).

We had 9 T-birds but only 7 made it to the finals with Dan (2nd place winner last fall) dropping out with a LX that was popping out of gear, and Matt from Wisconsin dropping after slight ticking noise developed down deep in his 94/95 SC's motor.

We had 3 cars that had their first time at the vent, a beautiful black XR7 (the guy just bought it this summer, AOD) and an SC that came down on a trailer with his whole crew and Todd with his 5 speed.

Fasted T-bird there was Paul coming down from Princeton, MN with his very fine SC running in the mid to high 12's. Mike Albee took the top spot in the bracket race nailing his dial with his competitor inexplicably hooking for the first time of the day causing a .04 break out.

The weather was great. Would have been nice to see more cars.

Matt tried to baby his noisy motor home and lost the motor about 2 miles east of the track. His day turned in to a very..very long day as he had a friend drive down from Wisconsin with a trailer to pick him and his car up. A 4 hour wait, and then a 4 hour drive back. ouch.

Looks like next spring is looking to be a big event. Hopefully we'll hear some more by January. Rumor is that it may turn into a Invitational event across more car brands with a solid prize pool.

Well I for one am looking forward to being there in the spring. I am not doing a lot to the car this winter:rolleyes: Its the perfect time to test and tune early in the year. Looking forward to seeing everyone:D

Ken

BirdofPrey97
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Wondering how I missed Matt. Was he off waiting at a ramp?

Sxar
10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Nope. I didn't jump on 20 just in case something let go. I went into Earlville and took a side road (210th) so I could see what it would do on the way to Dyersville. It didn't make it far.

If I was smarter, I would have taken it out on the road before everyone was leaving. It would have really sucked if I had been on 20 and had issues. At least I was on a nice and fairly quiet side road where the car could sit for several hours while I waited.

pablon2
10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Nope. I didn't jump on 20 just in case something let go. I went into Earlville and took a side road (210th) so I could see what it would do on the way to Dyersville. It didn't make it far.

If I was smarter, I would have taken it out on the road before everyone was leaving. It would have really sucked if I had been on 20 and had issues. At least I was on a nice and fairly quiet side road where the car could sit for several hours while I waited.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Matt. Time to throw that engine in you bought from me. :)

pablon2
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Fasted T-bird there was Paul coming down from Princeton, MN with his very fine SC running in the mid to high 12's.

Yeah, I was happy. Ran a best of 12.610 @ 111 (1.901 60' yuck) with 15% OD and only a gasket match port job on the heads with oversized valves. 18x9 street rims/tires up front too.

Congrats Mike A for winning it all! :)

forcfed93
10-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Yep, I got lucky!!! AGAIN! :D and I'd like to Thank to everyone who "let" me beat them!!! :eek:

As Mike said, we are looking at an ALL NEW format for next year. For all intents and purposes the GTP club is gone ....

So we are now thinking about creating a once a year race (in the spring) called the Midwest Car Club Invatational and it will be sponsored by the Super Coupe Club of Iowa. It will be open to the First 64 cars that enter and it will be run just like any weekly show you see any local dragstrip around the country. And it will still be a "bracket" race competition. The only change will be that the traqck will pair cars in each round of racing instead of me doing it.

We will be inviting all kinds of clubs, so there will be a good cross section of cars.

If someone wants to race, they will simply fill out a form online. After being excepted they will have to send in the full entry fee within two weeks. (It will most likely be 40-50 bucks). Once we recieve the entry fee, the only refunds that will be given will be if the race gets canceled due to weather. It most likely be a Saturday race with a Sunday rain date.

There should be some pretty good purses too. Like 250 for 1st, 125 for second, and 50 for the quarter-finals. To encourage clubs to get involved, we will also make a donation to your club if you win. If someone does not have a club, we will make a donation to an based charity in the winners name.

As for the fall race, it will remain as is for now, and most likely be a "fun-day" race outting for us.

Stay tuned, we have a LOT of things to go thru and figure out before we can announce the details. I just wanted you guy to know where this is going!!!

I'd love to know what you are thinking, so post it, or email me.

kenewagner
10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Yep, I got lucky!!! AGAIN! :D and I'd like to Thank to everyone who "let" me beat them!!! :eek:

As Mike said, we are looking at an ALL NEW format for next year. For all intents and purposes the GTP club is gone ....

So we are now thinking about creating a once a year race (in the spring) called the Midwest Car Club Invatational and it will be sponsored by the Super Coupe Club of Iowa. It will be open to the First 64 cars that enter and it will be run just like any weekly show you see any local dragstrip around the country. And it will still be a "bracket" race competition. The only change will be that the traqck will pair cars in each round of racing instead of me doing it.

We will be inviting all kinds of clubs, so there will be a good cross section of cars.

If someone wants to race, they will simply fill out a form online. After being excepted they will have to send in the full entry fee within two weeks. (It will most likely be 40-50 bucks). Once we recieve the entry fee, the only refunds that will be given will be if the race gets canceled due to weather. It most likely be a Saturday race with a Sunday rain date.

There should be some pretty good purses too. Like 250 for 1st, 125 for second, and 50 for the quarter-finals. To encourage clubs to get involved, we will also make a donation to your club if you win. If someone does not have a club, we will make a donation to an based charity in the winners name.

As for the fall race, it will remain as is for now, and most likely be a "fun-day" race outting for us.

Stay tuned, we have a LOT of things to go thru and figure out before we can announce the details. I just wanted you guy to know where this is going!!!

I'd love to know what you are thinking, so post it, or email me.

I think it is a good idea, we still get to hang out as a club and race. How many races do I have to win to be first:D It easier to drive 5 hours for me than 12 to the shootout so it is a great oppertunity to race.

Ken

Mike8675309
10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
To win, with 64 cars means.

First Round
64 cars run

Second Round
32 cars run

Third round
16 cars run

Fourth Round
8 cars run

Fifth Round
4 cars run

Sixth Round
2 cars run

So you would need to win 6 times to take the prize. We may need to think about a qualifying session, and then a final session though that doesn't make sense with brackets.

Some things to talk with the track about Mike. If we're gonna have 6 rounds with that many cars, some unleaded race fuel will be useful at the track. Maybe they already have it, I didn't check. If they have E85 there that would be a plus since no local stations seem to carry it.

i'm already looking forward to the event.

Sxar
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Matt. Time to throw that engine in you bought from me. :)

I was thinking about that, but I could also go non-stock.... ;)

I managed to get the recording off my phone from the next day when I repositioned it in the storage unit. No screeching and howling anymore, but plenty of knock (http://www.withunder.com/video/95SC-Red_Knock.wav).

Mike8675309
10-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Made a video of the clips I took while down at the race.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGvOzIAZhig?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGvOzIAZhig?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BirdofPrey97
10-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks for putting that together Mike. Aidan was enjoying the music while eating breakfast this morning.

forcfed93
11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Very COOL Mike!!! Thanks ... :cool: