1991 sc w/aod I want to change to a button controlled overdrive.

Wolfswrath

I have a 1991 Thunderbird SC with a AOD and would like to have gear control with a button activated overdrive. The car shifts (second > third) when shifting manually to fast! I would like to hold second longer if possible with this transmission?
Is there a way to convert to a button controlled overdrive that can shift through the gears manually and still be able to operate in "D" drive like stock??

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Matt

I have a 1991 Thunderbird SC with a AOD and would like to have gear control with a button activated overdrive. The car shifts (second > third) when shifting manually to fast! I would like to hold second longer if possible with this transmission?
Is there a way to convert to a button controlled overdrive that can shift through the gears manually and still be able to operate in "D" drive like stock??

any help would be greatly appreciated....

Matt

Matt,

Lentech street terminator valve body will give you everything you are looking for. Suggest calibration #2.

David

I have each of the two valve bodies David and Alan have suggested. Each works equally well but I prefer the Lentech a bit. The Lentech costs considerablly more than the Silverfox unit. The Lentech shifts more agressively when shifted manually over just putting it in drive and it also has true engine breaking in manual 2nd.

Bryan

from original poster

Does the "Lentech street terminator valve body" need a different shifter or any other modifications to the transmission?

I want to thank everyone for the input/help....
Matt

Does the "Lentech street terminator valve body" need a different shifter or any other modifications to the transmission?

The stock shifter is used, but overdrive lockout will be controlled via a separate switch. The shifter pattern changes from P-R-N-OD-3-2/1 TO P-R-N-3-2-1. If the OD lockout is engaged, the transmission will stay in 3rd, otherwise, the car will shift into OD when the car is up to speed.

Also, a transgo shift kit will allow you to hold the desired gear. :cool:

A transgo shift kit will not hold 3rd on a dyno or at the track. A transgo shift kit WILL allow full-throttle up-shifts fro 3rd to OD, which is VERY BAD for your transmission.

A transgo shift kit will not hold 3rd on a dyno or at the track. A transgo shift kit WILL allow full-throttle up-shifts fro 3rd to OD, which is VERY BAD for your transmission.

+1. I had that on my car and it would shift into OD at 4400 even with the shifter on "D". My ET & MPH in my signature is from when I had the Trans Go kit in my car.

I have each of the two valve bodies David and Alan have suggested. Each works equally well but I prefer the Lentech a bit. The Lentech costs considerablly more than the Silverfox unit. The Lentech shifts more agressively when shifted manually over just putting it in drive and it also has true engine breaking in manual 2nd.

Bryan

I have never tested the manual shifting to know the difference there. I know Dan talked to me about some changes he was making for engine breaking in manual 2nd. On the lentech when OD is cancelled the part throttle shifts are messed up a bit, I don't seem to have that problem with Dan's which is why I prefer it.
Alan

original poster

I wanted to thank everyone for the input.

Kurt K
Thanks for pointing me to Lentech. That is exactly what I was wanting.
They really are high priced but they accomplish exactly what I want...and they even have a trans/brake option... Now to convince myself I need it...

Yup...I do!

Thanks again everyone.....again SCCoA forum makes quick work of it...

Matt

Back