PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I have a 1991 Thunderbird SC Five speed. Last night it was running great, I got it up to about 100 maby a little more but didnt redline it or anything, when i came to a stop it wanted to die but came right back up to idle and was running perfect no noise, even revved it up before moving again. Well i went to back out of the road and it felt like the brake was hitting every two or three foot only when trying to reverse, pulled forward and pulled fine backed up again and was fine. I turned around and when i went to take off on a decent incline onto the highway it started making a real loud noise. Pulled out and started accelerating through first no noise and when i gave it a little gas in 2nd noise was pretty loud. Parked the car within a few hundred feet, I was actually goint to my friends house but was going too fast to stop at his driveway thats why i overshot it and had to turn around. When i shut the car off no noises, started it back about a hour and a half later and no noises, pulled onto the road and first gear no noises shifted at 2300RPM when i went into second no noises until i tried to give it gas same in third gear. Well i drove the car about a mile up the road and shut it off for the night. Next morning i went and started it ran perfect same as the night before no missfire or hesitation. Well i drove it to see what it would do and it would still make that noise when i tried to accelerate not hard though just a little more than feathering the throttle. The noise was kinda like clacking or metal scratching about every two-three seconds but couldnt feel anything. Well i pulled my belt off because it had shreaded it in the middle, and discovered my water pump had alot of play in it and when i turned it i could hear that it was bad, so luckily one of my old friends had a brand new water pump and he gave it to me, swapped it out and put all back together. But i made another discovery right behind my Harmonic Balancer their was fresh motor oil and the day it started making the loud noise while driving i was under the front end fixing my fog lights and their was no oil their then. So when i started it no knocking or anything like that but i reved it up to about 2500 and it started making a deep ratteling sound, i tried to back out of my friends driveway it started out as usual but when i went up the hill to get onto the road it started making the noise again. So i just pulled it back up the the driveway and let it run and at about 1000-1500RPM in neutral feathering the throttle i feel a vibration sitting in my car, and like i said at about 2500-3000RPM the noise gets pretty loud. Well i did rev it up hard one time after that to about 4500RPM just like a rattling but it has been doing this since i bought the car about three weeks ago, like when i would drive through my neighborhood in second gear about 2000rpm their was always some weird noise kinda like marbles in a can or something sililar to that. Like i said though the car still will start and run ad idle no problems at all just when i try to go it when it makes noise. Only other thing i noticed was the cover behind the HB was a little loose, Please give me some input.
Please and Thanks everyone.

slowpoke
10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
is there any way you can take a video and post it?

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Im going to try to today, when it first made the noise i was letting out of the clutch and give it a little gas it was like a warping sound really it was really loud kinda like the clutch or throw out bearing but a little louder.

slowpoke
10-02-2010, 01:29 PM
by the sounds of it i would think your clutch is shot, and most likely damage has been done to your fly wheel aswell. the video will confirm it. if its a steel fly wheel you can have it turned, just make sure to shim the slave to how ever much metal you remove from the fly wheel. it might not seem like much but if you dont shim it your pedal engage/disengage point will change closer to the floor.

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Ok i couldnt get the vids to upload on here so their on youtube, my clutch dosent feel any different and is not hard to shift at all. I just had the transmission fluid changed as well as motor oil and my SC oil. After the second vid I tried to start the car again because i had a mechanic their today to listen to it, and it took about three different tries to start it cranking it about 4-5 each and it did start like normal, but the noise was still their, mechanic said he would have to tear into it to identify the noise, but i would really like to pull the motor myself and fix whatever is messed up. PLEASE give me someput on ideas guys im new to these cars and i AM keeping this bird flying lol.

First startup video link-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uhQD3j9Ryc

Second video car was still running from the start up link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgtswKG30G4

275hptbirdsc
10-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Why isnt the supercharger belt on?

91BLOWNBIRD
10-02-2010, 07:38 PM
your supercharger belt came off...or broke off

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 08:02 PM
No i took it off to check to see if that was all the noise it was making, but it wasnt you can hear the knocking in the second video, yes i realize the belt is off lol you can see me engaging it and disengaging it, I would have thought yall would have seen the pulley not moving then moving because when it revs up in the second video the first time its not spinning then i let it spin and reved it up not much difference in the noise though. Last night i had the belts on and sounded the same but i didnt know how to get the supercharger to quit turning until last night when i had acess to a computer. Please give me thoughts guys, im thinking it really is a lifter or rocker arm, because it took so long to start back after the videos i made and it has never took that many times to start it always has started on the first try. Thanks for the responses everyone.

90turbo1
10-02-2010, 09:48 PM
rod knock.

mine did exact same noise for a night or two then it got really bad.

my rpm would stumble all over the place, and car would die at stop lights, all sorts of strange things.

but that sounds like onset of rod knock to me.

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 10:02 PM
rod knock.

mine did exact same noise for a night or two then it got really bad.

my rpm would stumble all over the place, and car would die at stop lights, all sorts of strange things.

but that sounds like onset of rod knock to me.

Well she wont die, it runs absolutetly perfect, dosent die or miss or anything of that nature, sometime im going to pull the Harmonic Balancer because theirs fresh oil behind it and their wasnt the day all this started. Because i get vibrations in the car, always have since ive had the car, but how will i know if the Harmonic Balancer is bad? And im going to pull the valve covers off and see what everything looks like. Thanks for the response.

frdlvr30
10-02-2010, 10:07 PM
That is a connecting rod knock....Stop running it and remove the engine for a rebuild....

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Hmm..... I was really hoping it would be something elese, but that has been in the back of my mind. My friend had a 89 SC that threw a rod, and he thinks the same. Just hope the heads didnt get hurt, and hope i can still use my block. Is anyone from here from tennessee that knows a good shop?

Regul8r
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
If you took the SC belt off to eliminate noise... try getting it to make noise and then take the other belt off for a SHORT run to verify it is in the motor and not something in the accessories.

Can't hurt just to verify and make sure. With nothing else turning and noise still there... MOTOR(rod knock)!! Listen to see if it is top or bottom end.

kylekwb
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
If you took the SC belt off to eliminate noise... try getting it to make noise and then take the other belt off for a SHORT run to verify it is in the motor and not something in the accessories.

Can't hurt just to verify and make sure. With nothing else turning and noise still there... MOTOR(rod knock)!! Listen to see if it is top or bottom end.

It kinda sounds like the top end to me, last night i took of the accessory belt and ran it no difference, and thats why i took the SC belt off today to see if that was making the noise but wasnt :( . The reason i think its in the top end of the motor is because it took three or four time 4-5 seconds turning over for it to start after the vids today. But the warp sound it origionally made was LOUD and harsh. So it prolly is a rod knock.

Regul8r
10-02-2010, 11:00 PM
if it is dying... pull it down 1 component at a time...
valve covers and look make sure all is tight up there, heads...make sure a valve isn't broke/plug parts in the motor (Just a real good inspection as you tear it down)

Pull it all out and send it to DD in ohio for a FULL REBUILD!

z90sc
10-02-2010, 11:41 PM
That is a connecting rod knock....Stop running it and remove the engine for a rebuild....

.....listen to this man.....he knows what he is talking about.........
z

slowpoke
10-03-2010, 12:58 AM
i have to agree, sounds like its time for a rebuild.

Regul8r
10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
.....listen to this man.....he knows what he is talking about.........
z

I agree it sure does sound like it.
I was not disputing it, I was trying to say... SLOW inspection of ALL the parts! It would really stink to send off the short block for rebuild only to find you had further problems!