PDA

View Full Version : Headers. Really needed?

fordemt
10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I was wondering about headers. I know mustang manifolds will work with some mods. I really don't want to spend a lot in headers. My main concern is that I just bought the car with a blown drivers side head gasket. I don't want to do this again. I have heard that the exhaust is a big reason they blow. If I just uncork the rest of the exhaust, will that be sufficient to keep blown hg's away? Or do I really need headers? I'm not looking to spend 700 bucks on a set of headers. And I don't want a thousand hp. What to do, what to do?

Regul8r
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I was wondering about headers. I know mustang manifolds will work with some mods. I really don't want to spend a lot in headers. My main concern is that I just bought the car with a blown drivers side head gasket. I don't want to do this again. I have heard that the exhaust is a big reason they blow. If I just uncork the rest of the exhaust, will that be sufficient to keep blown hg's away? Or do I really need headers? I'm not looking to spend 700 bucks on a set of headers. And I don't want a thousand hp. What to do, what to do?

Buy a set of Manifolds and port them.
Do a search on here about ported exhaust manifolds.

z90sc
10-02-2010, 11:25 PM
.......port your manifolds,go with a 2 1/2"-3"-2 1/2" exhaust and you won't have hg problems.......you're going to have to remove the manifolds anyway to do your hgs so remove the lip inside......the stock manifolds are said to be good up to 300 or so hp....so put your money into a decent exhaust that will let the car breathe better..........
z