PDA

View Full Version : Need Bob Johnson Racing Engines info

SonySC
10-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone have the current info to contact Bob Johnson (BJ1 Engines)
He built my engine a few years ago using copper head gaskets and I need info on them. I'm leaking a small amount of compression into my cooling system emptying my coolant tank when hot.
thanks SonySC 925-984-3785 cell

91BLOWNBIRD
10-04-2010, 02:38 AM
pretty sure copper on these engines is a bad idea...felpro's mls head gaskets are best...good luck

felpro 9262pt and 9263pt for left and right sides in case you need them

Ddubb
10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Didnt the engine blow the head gaskets before the rebuild ???

- Dan

SonySC
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Didnt the engine blow the head gaskets before the rebuild ???
- Dan

Yes with stock engine I blew the right gasket, then did headwork but later spun rod bearing - causing 1 yr layoff . Bought another crank and had Bob Johnson (Silver Bullet's engine builder) build and blueprint it. He said he O ringed the heads and used copper gaskets. That was three years ago. I still have good compression but apparently have a very minor compression leak into the water jacket. Thinking of trying to retorque the heads. I really don't want to have to pull it apart again.
George

Ddubb
10-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I would do a compression and a leakdown test - at that rate, it already looks like you will need to pull the heads anyways. I would have them checked for cracks / pressure tested at a machine shop.

As for the copper / o rings .. sounds more like a racing application than an everyday driver build. I wouldnt know how to get ahold of Bob Johnson, but if he did some O ring groove machine work to your engine, it will not be suitable for a "stock" type of rebuild with MLS gaskets - you will need to use new copper gaskets and O rings if you re-build it again .. or find a new engine.

The head gasket stop leak fix stuff is a BAD idea also - you end up coating your block passages, radiator, heater core, and everything else in the extensive cooling system.

- Dan