PDA

View Full Version : My Supercoupe Saga

XxSlowpokexX
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I figured now that my car is out of my hands Id post whats new in my world of supercoupes.

Currently car is in a shop being diagnosed

What was learned today.

1) All my sensors are functioning as they should....
2) Timing chain is aok
3) My #5 cylinder is running about 200 degrees hotter than the others
4) Catalytic on same side is cooler on the inlet side than the outlet when it should be the other way around..

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.......Could that be an injector issue?

ScrapSC
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
So your thinking one of your injectors is clogged or just not firing?

CMac89
10-05-2010, 10:10 PM
You can unplug one injector at a time. If unplugging one doesn't change how it's running, then it could be that injector.

You can take the injectors out and have them flow tested, also.

XxSlowpokexX
10-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Checking injectors tomorrow. Just curious what the thoughts were. Being everything is comming up as OK!!!!

ricardoa1
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like you narrowed it down to a cylinder.

So either spark or injector.......Pull the connector on that Injector and see what it does.

ScrapSC
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Yup that is my thoughts. I am running into that kind of issue on my daughters 4.6. One of the cylinders will run ok during warm up but then it will want to either lose spark or the to much fuel. I just know it keeps fouling the same plug.....

Blackened300A
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you narrowed it down to a cylinder.

So either spark or injector.......Pull the connector on that Injector and see what it does.

Got spark, they tested the wires and changed the plug. Tomorrow the injector will be swapped and take it from there.

S_Mazza
10-06-2010, 05:37 PM
4) Catalytic on same side is cooler on the inlet side than the outlet when it should be the other way around.

Shouldn't it be hotter on the outlet side of the cat? I thought that was normal.

KMT
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
There is a part of the procedure when pulling codes that will kill the injectors one by one to let you observe any effect on how the engine is running - this may provide one more data point when troubleshooting.

XxSlowpokexX
10-10-2010, 08:40 PM
no news yet.....yet...Hopefully this all gets figured out

XxSlowpokexX
10-13-2010, 11:13 PM
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooo:eek:

ricardoa1
10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
So what happened> ?

shoalcracker
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Either I missed Halloween or bad news.

I'm thinking the latter.

Paul

XxSlowpokexX
10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
boo=no idea yet.

boo also = i'm not crazy but this sucks

and lastly

boo= SOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEBODY HAS TO BE ABLE TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!

Ken Seegers
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
boo=no idea yet.

boo also = i'm not crazy but this sucks

and lastly

boo= SOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEBODY HAS TO BE ABLE TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!

So I'm taking it we'll been roasting marshmellows soon? j/k

Did you have your eec check out?

XxSlowpokexX
10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
New EEC..Even reburnt a new chip with my tune. Seems the computer/chip is telling things to do one thing and its is saying FU. I cant datalog nor do I have the time so its at a shop now. Dave D was nice enough to let the guy checking my car out talk to him so maybe they can figure something out. I;m not used to not being able to figure things out and to be honest this things driving me crazy...Ive done all I can with the resources I have. Im sure it ssomething EXTREMELY stupid...But it hasnt been anything that Ive come across in my testing of componants. Bottom line is it doesnt appear to be mechanical in nature and all of my sensors checked out fine both by me and the technition...So......WELL SEE

ricardoa1
10-14-2010, 04:12 PM
There is a possibility that your tune is frying the computer. Even loading it onto a new chip. I would have tried a known working computer and trying it out without a tune. They car should run and if you want to be safe installing the 36# injectors and stock maf might allow you to see if its related to those components. A ghost problem is highly likely a program issue.

XxSlowpokexX
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I even had the tune resent to me from Dave...I just dont know. Maybe I will burn a basic maf/injector tune and see what happens.

ricardoa1
10-14-2010, 07:36 PM
You should not even put in a chip. And see what the car does. My car at least runs without the chip, runs bad but at least you can see if its related.

TinManSC92
10-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Now that is frustrating! It's probably going to be one of those one week diagnostic adventures with a 5 minute fix. Overlooking the obvious has been my specialty with these cars. :confused: And, BTW. I wasn't aware that a tune chip could fry the brain in our cars. Yikes.

XxSlowpokexX
10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
wont run wthout chip ao I ws told....But i didnt try it myself

fturner
10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Now that is frustrating! It's probably going to be one of those one week diagnostic adventures with a 5 minute fix. Overlooking the obvious has been my specialty with these cars. :confused: And, BTW. I wasn't aware that a tune chip could fry the brain in our cars. Yikes.

Now before you get your panties in a knot.... the chip itself if not plugged properly into the J3 port could fry the computer, but if its seated properly it won't do that, unless there was a defect on the EEC itself already.

The chip could be damaged or has been flashed often enough that it no longer retains the tune properly... but that won't fry the EEC.

There is also the chance that the EEC is the wrong one for that car, and the wrong strategy is getting loaded onto the chip.

Damon, what is the calibration code on the EEC your currently using?

Fraser

ricardoa1
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
He should have a T4J1 computer 94-95 5spd.

Blackened300A
10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
He should have a T4J1 computer 94-95 5spd.

Hes running the computer from a 94 Auto. Its been a gradual downhill problem. It ran great as is then it started out as a minor hiccup til now its at the point where it has zero power.

fturner
10-15-2010, 01:31 PM
It'll be W4D2 then. I'm sure DD has that right.

Fraser

XxSlowpokexX
10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
It was and always has been a w4d2 because my sct software is only for a w4d2 and that is what I installed and originally tuned the car with..

Just so its clear

Computer has been changed recently along with a "new" sct chip reburnt with the original program. I even had Dave D resend me the program in case my copy was currupt and burnt the chip using that file.

I cant see it being either at this point.

XxSlowpokexX
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Hes running the computer from a 94 Auto. Its been a gradual downhill problem. It ran great as is then it started out as a minor hiccup til now its at the point where it has zero power.

Sometimes it runs much better than other times. I cant tell you how its running since its been at the shop. Regardless it has not run correctly for months now and when you floor the gas all hell breaks loose. Ive explained it so manttimes on here and elsewhere that it makes me sick. The guy said he can figure it out...I'M WAITING!!!

If you ask me it just may be a connector somewhere which isnt quite connecting....But the guy checking out my car is basically regoing over everything I already checked....And so far....NADA

Blackened300A
10-15-2010, 03:03 PM
He took your car out for a drive around the area. It won't idle. you give it gas and when the RPMs drop it stalls out. At WOT it feels held back. Like running it without a SC belt. The only oddball showing up on his datalogs is the IAC voltage bouncing like its trying to correct but its not making any difference in the tone of the engine while its idling.
The voltage on both banks of the injectors is showing up as perfectly even on both sides.
He was even on the phone with SCT trying to see if its a possible tune issue. Ill ask him today for a update.

ricardoa1
10-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I could repeat my statements but what the point............

Put a stock puter back on and stock maf. Or a calibrated maf for your injectors. Eliminated the chip and the computer as a trouble source. Thats my take on it........................:) Good luck. Your cam is not a monster cam last time I checked.

fturner
10-15-2010, 03:38 PM
He took your car out for a drive around the area. It won't idle. you give it gas and when the RPMs drop it stalls out. At WOT it feels held back. Like running it without a SC belt. The only oddball showing up on his datalogs is the IAC voltage bouncing like its trying to correct but its not making any difference in the tone of the engine while its idling.
The voltage on both banks of the injectors is showing up as perfectly even on both sides.
He was even on the phone with SCT trying to see if its a possible tune issue. Ill ask him today for a update.

IAC isn't based on voltage, its based on frequency.

If you can datalog the PID's on the car, whats the IAC duty cycle?

Fraser

XxSlowpokexX
10-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Paul hes wasting his time. Its not a tune issue. Tune was fine before this happened..And if the file or chip went bad for whatever reason. BOTH WERE REPLACED. A new chip and a NEW copy of the tune file that was not the one I had originally saved but the one that the chip was originaly burnt from.

So even if my EEC, chip and or tune went south. All have been replaced. So far hes not telling me anything I didnt already know about what the car is doing.

The supercoupe is definitely winning this battle. And no my cam isnt large however I dont have those stock pieces to put back on to see.

The non idling thing seems to be a recent issue that has developed. Perhaps the IAC has gone south through all this. I may have a spare in the cars center counsole..The rest of the symptoms are why the car is at his shop and not with me driving.

But its not looking good at all. IAC shouldnt affect WOT I wouldnt think. Mr Turner would know

XR7 Dave
10-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I have not received a call to diagnose anything, but then again I may not be able to tell him anything anyway. I have little doubt that with a QH combined with some good old fashioned troubleshooting the cause would surface within a couple hours. Buttttttttttt I'm a little far away to do much. :rolleyes:

KwikGSeX
10-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Maybe the valve springs dont have enough seat pressure? Perhaps they are failing..

fturner
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Paul hes wasting his time. Its not a tune issue. Tune was fine before this happened..And if the file or chip went bad for whatever reason. BOTH WERE REPLACED. A new chip and a NEW copy of the tune file that was not the one I had originally saved but the one that the chip was originaly burnt from.

So even if my EEC, chip and or tune went south. All have been replaced. So far hes not telling me anything I didnt already know about what the car is doing.

The supercoupe is definitely winning this battle. And no my cam isnt large however I dont have those stock pieces to put back on to see.

The non idling thing seems to be a recent issue that has developed. Perhaps the IAC has gone south through all this. I may have a spare in the cars center counsole..The rest of the symptoms are why the car is at his shop and not with me driving.

But its not looking good at all. IAC shouldnt affect WOT I wouldnt think. Mr Turner would know

IAC doesn't affect WOT.

Fraser

Miller
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM
i have not received a call to diagnose anything, but then again i may not be able to tell him anything anyway. I have little doubt that with a qh combined with some good old fashioned troubleshooting the cause would surface within a couple hours. Buttttttttttt i'm a little far away to do much. :rolleyes:

road tripppppppppppp

so come here and fix it. im sure theres also a buncha guys ova hea' who could use some tunininininininini

XR7 Dave
10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
road tripppppppppppp

so come here and fix it. im sure theres also a buncha guys ova hea' who could use some tunininininininini

Tuning is the last thing I'd come to NY for. haha. Seriously, if I attempted a road trip to NY I'd be lynched at the Jersey line because there are people there in even more dire need than Damon. :eek: Now about that cloning operation....:rolleyes:

fturner
10-16-2010, 10:24 AM
I might be able to sneak past the lynch line and hit NY area if there was enough folks needing some tuning...... and help Damon out.

(I may live to regret this :eek:)

Fraser

XxSlowpokexX
10-16-2010, 11:11 AM
i would head over to nj...id even head over to ohio at this point. Now that I know it isnt anything mechanical such as the cam/timing chain fuel pump etc I'm confident enough to drive it somewhere at least. It will cruise just fine.

The heads are new and the valvetrain geometry pretty much set. And even after that was done the car ran the same as before.

XxSlowpokexX
10-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Fraser..How far is Hagersville from NYC? haha

fturner
10-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Fraser..How far is Hagersville from NYC? haha

About 480 miles give or take.... about 9 hours of driving..... :D

A walk in the park

Fraser

XR7 Dave
10-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds to me like you have a vacuum/boost leak issue if I were to just toss a guess out there. Have you had a wide band on the car?

XxSlowpokexX
10-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Dave yes I had a wideband in thier however I think I need a new sensor as I havent had it plugged in since this has been going on. Not sure how much it would take to screw the sensor up.

We did a smoke test on it and didnt find any leaks. I also had it all apart and reassymbled. Not saying it isnt a leakbut I havent found one.

maybe capping the IC tubes at the return plenum and putting compessed air in at the TB will show something different?

How do you normally check?

XxSlowpokexX
10-16-2010, 12:11 PM
also seems Im getting good boost/vaccumm When I had the car at my house. I know chris has had some of the tubes on and off a few times since.

fturner
10-16-2010, 12:18 PM
You could have excellent vacuum with no leaks and have a boost leak that shows up say at 7psi. You'd have to pressurize the whole system to say 15psi and see if you can get bubbles.

Fraser

XR7 Dave
10-16-2010, 02:27 PM
also seems Im getting good boost/vaccumm When I had the car at my house. I know chris has had some of the tubes on and off a few times since.

Ok, well still basic troubleshooting should pinpoint the problem. Too bad you don't have better datalogging capabilities.

XxSlowpokexX
10-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I just dont have the cash to swing for a QH right now. I know thats what I need and its on the list. Maybe if I get a bonus this year..."if" being key. The plus being you have the tune already for it. Maybe I can sell something laying around here.....

Blackened300A
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Last night he was getting a air pressure regulator to pump 15psi through the tubes. Im going to swing by later on to see what he found or did.

XxSlowpokexX
10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
15psi is girly boost pressure!

Blackened300A
10-19-2010, 07:14 PM
15psi is girly boost pressure!

True, we can go 150psi if that would put some hair on your chest. :D

fturner
10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
True, we can go 150psi if that would put some hair on your chest. :D

Now thats funny....

Fraser