Blower pulley.......is there a trick?

ORION

I was just wondering (hoping) if there is a trick to removing the blower pulley without having to remove the thermostat housing and upper rad hose.
I am using the SCP Blower pulley puller but can't seem to line it directly because the rad hose and upper portion of the thermostat housing are in the way. I also realize that given that the bolt for the pulley is not tapered, there is no way to just knock the pulley loose.
I just don't want to have to buy a new thermostat gasket and dump have a bottle of coolant on the driveway.:(
Any advice, tatics, or even confirmation would be great.

They do come off, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you will have to tilt the pulley to get it off. Can't remember which way though. You may also need a puller to get the pulley loose once the bolt is off.

Drew

They do come off, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you will have to tilt the pulley to get it off. Can't remember which way though. You may also need a puller to get the pulley loose once the bolt is off.

Drew

I've got the bolt off, I just can't seem to line the centre of the puller with the centre of the bolt because the upper rad assembly is in the way.
I've read several how to's and it seems like it's possible.
I think I'll try soaking both sides of the pulley in WD 40 to give me a fighting chance and try to line it up again.

Maybe I'm misreading. 1990?

3 arm puller roughly 3-4 " legs. Straight shot.

Fair bit of resistance then pop.

Bolt, belt, pulley.

Presuming stock housing on thermostat.

Paul

I can't get a three-arm puller to fit on mine, I use a two-arm puller.

Doug

To be honest most of what I use, I don't own.

I may be mistaken. I just changed one 3 weeks ago and thought it was a 3 arm.

I don't remember any interference though with other pieces.

Were you thinking in another direction regarding the thermo housing and rad hose?.

Paul

I've replaced front seals on my 90 & 93 ,used a 2 arm ( 3 interferes with stat housing as you stated). You just need to be a little more careful not to bend or distort pulley as all the pressure is not distubuted as evenly. Good luck.
Doug

pop

Another tip using the puller - once you load it up give it smack with a hammer, this jolts it loose rather than loading up brute force pulling. This isn't a big heavy smack either just a regular hammer and a pop.
And yes it comes off without removing the hosing/hose but been a while so I can't quite remember what worked - just know that I have done it.

Thanks for the info guys.
I actually got it off this morning with the 3 arm puller. I sprayed WD 40 into both ends, left it for a few minutes, then used the shorter arms, an 18mm socket and wrench. I just slowly turned it and voila! she popped off without having to remove the stat housing. It is a tight fit under the upper rad hose and you have to be careful to keep the screw lined up.

Last edited:
Back