Help please transmission or universal joints in driveshaft

madmaxx689

Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid. I wasn't driving the car at the time. the car goes into gear but does not go anywhere in any gear. when you put it back in park it makes kinda of grinding sound. the car rolls even in park. Starts fine and shifts int gear with no problem or sounds. Is it the drive shaft universal joints? The car was making a clunking sound when put into gear before. no vibration or other noise after. any help would be appreciated thanks car is a 1990 auto

also what size rear end is in this year?

Last edited:
Hopefully this doesn't sound too stupid. I wasn't driving the car at the time. the car goes into gear but does not go anywhere in any gear. when you put it back in park it makes kinda of grinding sound. the car rolls even in park. Starts fine and shifts int gear with no problem or sounds. Is it the drive shaft universal joints? The car was making a clunking sound when put into gear before. no vibration or other noise after. any help would be appreciated thanks car is a 1990 auto

So the car rolls in park.... Does not move in any gear.... ratchets down to locked when you put it in.... Uhh... Did you break a halfshaft?

Just get under the car and inspect it. If the car moves in park, either the driveshaft or an axle shaft is busted, or the parking pawl in the transmission is broken. The noises you are hearing, only way to know is to get under the car and listen to figure out where they are coming from.

Me think broken halfshaft but you have to get under the car and see

Back