Replacing break accumulator

nmcbchief

I did a search but could not find anything on replacing the break accumulator. Do you have to release pressure before taking it off? Mine is super tight and could not get it to turn.

I did a search but could not find anything on replacing the break accumulator. Do you have to release pressure before taking it off? Mine is super tight and could not get it to turn.
Absolutely.. pump the pedal until it gets hard to press... then pump it 5 more times. If its the original ball, you can use an allen socket and breaker bar to break it loose. If its the aftermarket type, you'll need an oil filter wrench or a strap wrench. Remove the wiper cowling to get more working room. I you can't get enough space to get a wrench on it, unbolt the whole assembly from the firewall and tilt it up slightly. To do that, you may need to disconnect everything from it.

The replacement ones I've had that don't have the nut on top have a hex on the bottom just above the threads. I use a crow's foot with and extension and a wobbly, that way it can also be torqued to spec when installing. I've never taken anything off for access, I'll have to consider next time, but I hate taking the cowl panels off for some reason.

Back